If Reefing Were Cheap And Easy, Would You Still Do It?

If Reefing Were Cheap And Easy, Would You Still Do It?

• Yes

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was cheap and easy, I would have more tanks and be able to experiment more and be more creative.

Could have a dedicated tank for themes of interest like I have with freshwater. Like have a lagoon, macroalgae tank, a pistol shrimp goby tank, a mantis shrimp tank, mushroom only tank, different anemone tanks. Biotope tanks. NPS tanks, and seahorse tanks etc

Cost and difficulty really makes us limited on what we can focus on. You can’t have time to make a ton of habitats all thrive when the barriers are so high.

While a challenge is great for a sense of accomplishment. There is also a great way to earn the feeling of accomplishment when you are able to express your creative ideas that are currently restricted

Last edited:

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would 100% do it if it was cheap, even if it was easier. Would porbally be boring, but I love to stare at my tank, so having a nice big tank filled with colorful coral and fish would be my absolute dream.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting that there is a 50/50 split on comments of people saying they would or wouldn't keep reefing if it was easy, but in the poll it's 24-2-1 currently. It just goes to show off the sort of biases you can get in reading comments. More hard-core involved people with more controversial opinions are more likely to comment. Something to keep in mind when browsing the forum.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the thrill of the challenge makes a hobby worthwhile. Is that the case for you?
I initially got into the hobby in 2000 because it seemed to be challenging and I hadn't delved into reef keeping. I had great success with my first tank, softy/LPS.

I am currently running my tank in similar ways, not delving into SPS much. I think the biggest challenge is keeping up on the routine of maintenance, my assortment of corals is generally forgiving of my random schedule. I'm not bored with my tank.

I have costs low due to the size of my system and basic equipment. I have no space to upgrade so no big spendy tank in my future.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lumped cheap and easy together. I would have 2 separate answers to both of those.

Cheap is something I think most of us hobbyist would like to see no matter the difficulty. We as hobbyist have some control in that and I hope to see a shift in what we as a group spend our money on.

As far as easy, hmm that's tough, I think if it was easy than everyone would have a thriving reef tank and there would be no fun nor challenge to it.

I would tend to think that I would get bored and move on if it were easy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Easy? I could take it or leave it. 99% of the time I don’t find it to be particularly difficult.

Cheap would be nice. If a $1000 fish was $100, I’d be inclined to make the purchase.
problem is, years ago, a $1000 fish was $100 or less.
My yellow tangs were $29.99 or less

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I knew how expensive it would be, I might not have gone into it. But then I got stuck. Even when you plan of costs, they still build up due to bad purchases, fish that won’t eat, gear that doesn’t fit, tests that don’t work, etc. etc.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes because I love the hobby. But in my opinion it should be cheaper so everyone can enjoy home reefs

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it now or cheap and easy. Why?
I love the water, I go to the beach all the time, my vacations are to new beaches.
The only thing I wished I did when I was younger was to dive. All my friends went to learn and I moved into my first apartment in stead. It was a money thing back then.
I should look into doing it still.... Oh honey,.....

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. I like the challenge and designing new ways to do things.

Thats why I don't collect stamps. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd have a sunken living room with a tank all the way around it.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it can be cheap going pico or nano. My most expensive piece is lighting. There are some lights that are under 50 that would do well. Air pump and cylinder glass tank like a container. You could throw in what ever priced coral you want then. If talking bigger tank. Now this is where it gets pricy lol. Where dosing and skimmers and such may be needed for control of trace elements and nutrient export since full water changes arent always feasable. And if you can, thats alot of salt needed where skimmer and dosing make up for that and would cost less long term but still pricy.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 56 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back