If we were to do a "Top Thread of the Week" ...?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, so here's an idea we've been thinking over, and I figured it might be a good discussion to be had here. It's the idea of having a "Top Thread of the Week"! However, there are different ways that could be evaluated and different criteria that could be used.

For example, it could be determined based on the number of responses a thread has or the number of views it has gotten or the type of engagement it has... I definitely feel like we'd need some guidelines for it. Like, it couldn't be a meet and greet thread or a lounge thread. It couldn't be a negative thread where there was a bunch of arguing. It should be a thread IMO that is helpful or interesting...a thread that is a positive for our community...

I dunno. What do you guys think?

Btw, here are a bunch of high engagement threads that were started this past week based on views and replies (these are in no particular order):

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some thoughts on it. I think it should include threads that either promote good discussion or show off some idea. Maybe a thread Randy posted that is loaded with information. Or a question someone asked but it is filled with many different responses. I think those could be some good threads to include. I also think the “thread of the week thread” ahold Be pinned for a couple of days. That way people who logon on can say “oh top threads of the week? Wonder what those are” it would help prevent it from getting buried thus defeating the purpose of it. Also members should be notified if their thread makes it in the top threads of the week or maybe a recognition title “ (member) had an amazing thread about the effects of high phosphate on their tank” something like that. Idk just spit balling some ideas out there!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’ll definitely require the judgement of the staff, imo. Numbers alone don’t always equal a great thread. But I like the idea! Maybe create a system to grade them on, and award points based on that criteria? Then the most points wins the spot.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want it to be based solely on engagement or views. Doing that would make it easy to pull, yes - but it would also be likely to pull a lot of argumentative threads, because people become much more motivated to post when someone commits the grievous sin of being wrong on the Internet.

Use engagement to identify candidates, but use human judgment to actually choose them.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wouldn't include "number of posts" as a qualifier. As an example, there are a few long running threads that have become a safe haven for idle chitchat and non reef related content.

It would have to be subjective on the part of those making thw decision and maybe answer some key questions. Like, does it promote thoughtful conversation? Does it allow inclusion for dissenting view points? Can the content be construed as marketing? Does it have the potential to move the needle forward for the hobby? Has the topic been discussed to exhaustion? Etc.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a "top thread of the month" instead..... it will allow for more time for "those unique threads" to pop up, vs the regular day to day mainstream topics.

Also, do you really want to deal with it every 6-7 days? Once a month sounds easier to organize and to vote for.

EDIT: maybe create a new emoji that we can use once a month to vote for the top thread, or at least nominate a thread. just an idea...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back