If you had your choice for lights…

Powderblue85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a Reefer 425xl. I have been a huge fan of the kessil A360s I’ve run on quite a few tanks, but one of my tanks I ran a TEKlight (I know old school) and I had incredible growth with my sps compared to the kessils. My biggest issue is my wife hates fixtures hanging from the ceiling. So if you had to choose what light would you run that can be tank mounted. I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years so if there is a hybrid setup that can be tank mounted I’d definitely be interested in that! Thanks for your input everyone

FC05CF21-54B8-443C-B651-B2AD6B2E6B03.png

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil A360x TB's are available with a couple tank mounts. One is the 90* arm which I like, and the other is the "gooseneck" style which I have, but don't like as much.

The reason is the 90* arms are hollow and are designed to allow you to run the wires inside to hide them. The gooseneck arms do not have that option so you are left with all of your wires exposed.

There is a 3rd option of a bracket that goes end to end on the tank and allows you to mount the pucks to the crossbar in any position. I have never used that system so I can't say any more than I know it exists.

Good luck!!

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I run Red Sea lights and have great results on all 3 of my mixed reefs. I run the LED 90’s on my Reefer 250 and 350 and LED 160’s on my 525. Each tank has 2 lights. I was initially worried I would need 3 of the 160’s over the 525 but it would be overkill in my opinion.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the setup I run over my 55g right now.

As you can see, I am using the gooseneck arms for the Kessils. The Center light is a Wills 165 that I keep to supplement the Kessils. I use it because I have a center glass brace in the center that I found blocks out enough light to warrant the addition.

You can also see that even though I have done what I can to hide the wires, they are still in plain sight, which is less desirable of course than having the option to hide them in the 90* arms.

1654900157721.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go with a hybrid kessil/ reef bar (orphek, quantareef, etc) as you already like the kessil shimmer.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
different mounting options from diy aluminum t slot mounts or using the kessil mount (i prefer the look of the mounting arm over the gooseneck) and the orphek or3 with the acrylic tank mount. Whatever makes the wife happy uk

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go with a hybrid kessil/ reef bar (orphek, quantareef, etc) as you already like the kessil shimmer.

How would that work? If I understand correctly a "reefbar" is a strip LED ? Something that spans the tank from end to end? How would this work with the puck lights?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people diy the stand with aluminum bars but there are also other options

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people diy the stand with aluminum bars but there are also other options

This would be a stand alone option for sure.

I am curious how it would work as a tandem with the puck lights? Would you have 2 strips that span the tank on the front and back and the pucks in the center? I could see how that could be a desirable setup actually.

I have found on my own tank that one A360x TB covers about 24 inches at a 6.5" mounting height. Since my tank is only 13" front to back I can't say for sure if that spread would be a full radius or not, but logically I would assume so? I also run my lights at only 82% intensity so I can see how running full power would increase this range slightly.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how it would work as a tandem with the puck lights? Would you have 2 strips that span the tank on the front and back and the pucks in the center? I could see how that could be a desirable setup actually.
yep this exactly, either 1 just in the front or 2, 1 in front and 1 in the back spanning the whole length of the tank. I love kessils but i had to go with the orphek icon for my tank based on the sale price and stand alone to cover the tank (i also like a whiter tank than most people it seems)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess i should add as an option 2 orphek icon compacts if you like a whiter look.
I would also look at using a hanging bracket for any of these lights if you dont want them to hang from the ceiling as it might give you more options. Just get whatever your wife thinks looks good and screw them into the wall studs

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
759D0ABC-4A3D-4082-9545-565B31DA66BA.png

36" would be an option too

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
759D0ABC-4A3D-4082-9545-565B31DA66BA.png

36" would be an option too

Looks like a nice setup. Is there an option to mount the pucks higher up or would they be about even with the strips which appear to be no more than a couple inches above the surface? How would this effect the spread of the pucks? Are the strips intense enough to make up for the loss of intensity from the pucks because they would likely need to be dialed back to avoid baking anything directly below them if run at an intensity that you would run them at 6-8 inches above the surface?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the looks of this here is my setup. Get a portable coat rack on wheels and modify it, one inch dowel for the top can support any length of tank. No holes in wall or ceiling, used plastic vines to help beautify the light stand. I can swing the light stand out of the way on one side to gain access to equipment.

Attachments

• 20210421_184648[1243].jpg
    20210421_184648[1243].jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 29

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the looks of this here is my setup. Get a portable coat rack on wheels and modify it, one inch dowel for the top can support any length of tank. No holes in wall or ceiling, used plastic vines to help beautify the light stand. I can swing the light stand out of the way on one side to gain access to equipment.

That looks pretty good. What a fantastic idea!! I love how creative some people are. I never would have thought about that!

I went with a basic wire shelf from HD to hang my original lights from. You can see it sort-of in the picture I posted. But, it did have to be wall mounted. I love the idea of a free-standing system!!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good. What a fantastic idea!! I love how creative some people are. I never would have thought about that!

I went with a basic wire shelf from HD to hang my original lights from. You can see it sort-of in the picture I posted. But, it did have to be wall mounted. I love the idea of a free-standing system!!
Thank you. It came in handy when I had to work on my HOB refugium, just roll the light stand out of the way. All the wires are on the right side and can roll the left side out and around. Yours is good also, I don't like having light stands on the tank itself.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It came in handy when I had to work on my HOB refugium, just roll the light stand out of the way. All the wires are on the right side and can roll the left side out and around. Yours is good also, I don't like having light stands on the tank itself.

One benefit of mine is a place to keep some equipment that I use on the tank frequently... Turkey baster, glass scraper and such. Most of the other stuff goes under the stand for the 32g AIO. Of course, more often than not, these items get left on the glass bracing panel. Funny that they will sit there for days, then I realize that I left them there, put them away, and 2 hours later, use them and put them right back on the brace... lol....

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One benefit of mine is a place to keep some equipment that I use on the tank frequently... Turkey baster, glass scraper and such. Most of the other stuff goes under the stand for the 32g AIO. Of course, more often than not, these items get left on the glass bracing panel. Funny that they will sit there for days, then I realize that I left them there, put them away, and 2 hours later, use them and put them right back on the brace... lol....
I was just thinking that, you can also use the shelf for equipment or knick knacks. lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back