If you have 2 corals combine???

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 SPS corals that may have combined them selves. I don't want to name the corals just yet, but I am wondering what you have to do to actually name a morphed coral. I knew a guy back in the day that had to send it off some where and they had to recreate the coral and confirm that in fact, it was something never seen before. I know alot of people just name there stuff what ever they want, but I feel this is different. Any insight in this?

Thanks

Mike

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew a guy back in the day that had to send it off some where and they had to recreate the coral and confirm that in fact, it was something never seen before.
This isn’t really a thing. There’s no official expert on corals to send things to to be “confirmed”

And the only thing you could even confirm would be the genetics of it which we don’t have any sort of lists to compare to anyway so would be just as useless information.

I think if you actually think you have something special the first thing to do would be to show it and explain what happened. See if anyone else has had the same thing happen.

But I’m pretty sure that 2 separate species of corals can’t “combine” by fusing together and then have a new coral species made.

Maybe 2 genotypes of the same species could fuse together but even then it’ll be hard to say if that will grow out and still have any variability from the original. So you would need to take lots of pieces of frags and see what happens to them.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 SPS corals that may have combined them selves. I don't want to name the corals just yet, but I am wondering what you have to do to actually name a morphed coral. I knew a guy back in the day that had to send it off some where and they had to recreate the coral and confirm that in fact, it was something never seen before. I know alot of people just name there stuff what ever they want, but I feel this is different. Any insight in this?

Thanks

Mike
If you have a picture making device - please show us a picture!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, If you are suggesting that the coral became a new species somehow, then the scientific community would certainly like to see it.
If it's two corals growing next to, or into each other, then it is still two separate coral (like red and green monti caps, etc).
If the colors from coral one are starting to appear in the other, then that is a grafted coral from shared zooxanthellae, and those are usually given a fancy name by the retailer who sells them.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy Samberg Shock GIF by PeacockTV

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve grafted 2 corals. Name it something silly starting with “Ultra” and your initals, cut off a pinky nail sized piece, and post for sale at $1999.00
Technically it’s not grafted either since grafting implies it was done on purpose with human intervention
Example : skin graft

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, If you are suggesting that the coral became a new species somehow, then the scientific community would certainly like to see it.
If it's two corals growing next to, or into each other, then it is still two separate coral (like red and green monti caps, etc).
If the colors from coral one are starting to appear in the other, then that is a grafted coral from shared zooxanthellae, and those are usually given a fancy name by the retailer who sells them.
I believe This would be more akin to horizontal gene transfer

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can say this, I did not plan for it to happen.

My wife who was taking care of the system for the 6 months while I was away, would frag stuff "accidentally" when she would get in there for any kind of maintenance. Im not mad about it at all. Well I am assuming that one of the pieces she fragged made its way into another coral. And now they are growing together. I cant see the base of the coral, to see what is actually going on and It would be impossible for me to take the rock out with out tearing down the entire systems. So its a waiting game to see. I know they are touching, touching a lot. So for now, I am just going to give them there privacy and see what they give me. I was just trying to get some info on what if anything I should be doing to document it, so if it is in fact the new fancy thing on the market, then I will be ahead of the curve.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say this, I did not plan for it to happen.

My wife who was taking care of the system for the 6 months while I was away, would frag stuff "accidentally" when she would get in there for any kind of maintenance. Im not mad about it at all. Well I am assuming that one of the pieces she fragged made its way into another coral. And now they are growing together. I cant see the base of the coral, to see what is actually going on and It would be impossible for me to take the rock out with out tearing down the entire systems. So it’s a waiting game to see. I know they are touching, touching a lot. So for now, I am just going to give them their privacy and see what they give me. I was just trying to get some info on what if anything I should be doing to document it, so if it is in fact the new fancy thing on the market, then I will be ahead of the curve.
What you should be doing to document IMO is start taking pictures the best you can so you can show what changes happen over time. Then once it’s being enough to frag take a piece and grow that out and see if it’s the same or different than the original

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graft
Noun

“MEDICINE
a piece of living tissue that is transplanted surgically.”
Thanks grammar police. TSA has spoken about how they intentionally graft corals and how sometimes it happens naturally due to being kept in high numbers and within close proximity as is the case in an aquaculture farm environment.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve grafted 2 corals. Name it something silly starting with “Ultra” and your initals, cut off a pinky nail sized piece, and post for sale at $1999.00
Why not!many big name coral purveyors have/do.
Alternatively-become a folk hero & send us all a frag for our own independent research!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back