If you have 2 corals combine???

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes two acropora can grow next to each other without killing either. It is not necessarily grafted or becoming one (although that can also happen).
Agreed.. I’ve had them touch and nothing happened.. right now I have a tubs Stella growing into a cornbread malenificent encrustation on a rock where I broke the frag off… I’ve been curious who will, kill who and so far nothing… the Stella has made its way all the way up to it and now growing around it with about 32’d In between each coral..

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I guess time will tell as to what happens. Just a waiting game for now. If they just co exist next to each other, cool.. If they merge and make something, cool. Thanks for the replies!

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, If you are suggesting that the coral became a new species somehow, then the scientific community would certainly like to see it.
If it's two corals growing next to, or into each other, then it is still two separate coral (like red and green monti caps, etc).
If the colors from coral one are starting to appear in the other, then that is a grafted coral from shared zooxanthellae, and those are usually given a fancy name by the retailer who sells them.
This is what happened to my gold and green hammers!
IMG_4676.jpeg
IMG_4674.jpeg

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess time will tell as to what happens. Just a waiting game for now. If they just co exist next to each other, cool.. If they merge and make something, cool. Thanks for the replies!

Would be great to see pics now so we can follow along as it progresses!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great to see pics now so we can follow along as it progresses!
I think a lot of people would like to see a picture to validate this.

It sounds like it's just an accidental coral fragment growing well on another. If this is the case, most people will move on from this thread.

If it actually grafted into a contrasting colored coral, then he'll instantly become best friends with all the coral farmers lurking in the the thread.

Pictures please! The suspense is killing everyone.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks grammar police. TSA has spoken about how they intentionally graft corals and how sometimes it happens naturally due to being kept in high numbers and within close proximity as is the case in an aquaculture farm environment.
sorry that you dont like what the word means but thats the definition.
Regardless, OP has not “created a new species of coral.” When a person can create something, anything, absolutely anything, let me know.

The chances you became God overnight or discovered a “missing link” type scenario in your tank are extremely low. :grinning-squinting-face:
its ok that the thread upset you this much, jsut dont look. so upset over nothing

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a lot of people would like to see a picture to validate this.

It sounds like it's just an accidental coral fragment growing well on another. If this is the case, most people will move on from this thread.

If it actually grafted into a contrasting colored coral, then he'll instantly become best friends with all the coral farmers lurking in the the thread.

Pictures please! The suspense is killing everyone.
I can not get a good enough picture to validate or invalidate this. As soon as I know however, I will post pictures and become best friends with everyone. I am looking every day for some new progress. I may cut the original corals and stick them in the frag tank and see what they do there, plus that will give me a better picture opportunity for picture documentation. As far as what the 2 corals are, that's a secret I am going to keep for now. For the most part you all have answered my original question as to if there was someone or something I should be doing or contacting and I thank you all for that!

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not get a good enough picture to validate or invalidate this. As soon as I know however, I will post pictures and become best friends with everyone. I am looking every day for some new progress. I may cut the original corals and stick them in the frag tank and see what they do there, plus that will give me a better picture opportunity for picture documentation. As far as what the 2 corals are, that's a secret I am going to keep for now. For the most part you all have answered my original question as to if there was someone or something I should be doing or contacting and I thank you all for that!
Animated GIF

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a green slimer that grew into a no named acro and a surf and turf acro just to show that some will survive.
20211208_140647.jpg
In a past system I had ASD rainbow fuse into a wild Sunset milli. You can see the definite variation from the top Sunset to the bottom ASD but they accepted each other. Unfortunately had to break down that system and they became separated in the process.
09CB1AB2-CA66-4972-BF7D-5681C8151CCE.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! I'm guessing it's a graft combination of some sort. It'll be cool to see if it's a combo piece that hasn't occurred before and if it continues to grow into mixed branches, etc. Would love to see some pics when you can get them!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back