I'll take 'Real Coral Names' for $100 please....

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So......I hang out here daily and read most of everything and actually think I have a good understanding of most things now.
BUT...I follow links to coral vendor websites and see comical, interesting names given to specific pieces but not actually what the piece is. Example 'chemical bomb', great name but being unschooled in identification I have no idea what I'm really looking at. I would love to start learning all this but am at a lose at where to start. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start looking at some coral identification books. Lots of great information between different species of coral. This has been one of my favorites
20171226_114129.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So......I hang out here daily and read most of everything and actually think I have a good understanding of most things now.
BUT...I follow links to coral vendor websites and see comical, interesting names given to specific pieces but not actually what the piece is. Example 'chemical bomb', great name but being unschooled in identification I have no idea what I'm really looking at. I would love to start learning all this but am at a lose at where to start. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

As in the species of coral you’re looking at? I would just spend time scrolling websites that sell ones without names, like LiveAquarias coral section since you can do it online. Other than that I’d suggest looking around at your LFS and asking for an ID if you don’t know what kind of coral it is. You can also look at books on the topic. Here are probably the most popular corals if you’d just like an idea of where to start. I’d google them and try and memorize what they look like.

Acans, zoanthids, montipora, acropora, birdsnest, star polyps, favia, leathers, gorgonian. There are many more kinds, but once you learn the growth patterns and how they look it’s not too hard to remember.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to help teach you about coral taxonomy/biology. I do work with a citizen science program that tracks coral species around the world so I think I'm qualified (hopefully lol). But I agree those names aren't super helpful. Even LPS and SPS aren't helpful. Prime example are Goniopora and Alveopora both LPS known as flowerpot corals. I've seen a lot of people who think they are related to euphyllia (torches, hammers, etc) because of their long flowing polyps. However their closest relative is actually Porites which is an SPS. From a normal person's perspective they look nothing alike, but when you learn to analyze growth patterns and skeletal morphology you see that they are very very very similar

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to just not care what species I have.....I just buy based on if it looks healthy and I like the way it looks. Every coral is introduced the same way.....I just adjust it's location based on how it reacts to my lighting and water flow. There are too many incorrect names, morphs, etc to even try to keep track lol.

OP
OP
Genomecop

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious about how things grow and what they will look like when they are bigger. I've just been Googling the names and looking for 'wild' photos to get an idea.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to help teach you about coral taxonomy/biology. I do work with a citizen science program that tracks coral species around the world so I think I'm qualified (hopefully lol). But I agree those names aren't super helpful. Even LPS and SPS aren't helpful. Prime example are Goniopora and Alveopora both LPS known as flowerpot corals. I've seen a lot of people who think they are related to euphyllia (torches, hammers, etc) because of their long flowing polyps. However their closest relative is actually Porites which is an SPS. From a normal person's perspective they look nothing alike, but when you learn to analyze growth patterns and skeletal morphology you see that they are very very very similar
umm hello awesome new thread, please lay it on us!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm hello awesome new thread, please lay it on us!

Sure thing! I’ll try to start one eventually but I’m not super sure where it’ll fit in or how I to best organize it to make is easily readable. But it’s something that will happen soon now that people like you are interested

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back