Illness identification

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a kole tang that is eating well with no behavioral changes, but has developed this raised…..streak….. on his head that seems to have raised white spots. It is isolated to this streak with no spread noticed at this time. He has had this for about 2-3 days with no change.

I feed frozen brine, mysis, shrimp, and clam. He gets seaweed at least every other day. Food is supplemented with selcon and sometimes garlic extreme. I did give him metroplex and focus with food when it started and then again tonight. It’s impossible to get him out of the tank or I would have given him a bath already.

Any thoughts on the spots? @Humblefish :)

Thank you in advance,
Greg

069C420F-F7A1-42CE-8049-6B05D9A54462.jpeg E92E0EF5-B4A3-4CDE-96DD-EF709AA741E1.jpeg 763FBCE9-1863-4B3A-B9AB-48423ED74436.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure humble fish is here - you might want to look at his website? In any case - it looks like an injury.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
this is no doubt bacterial. Humblefish is elsewhere and I have high regards for bruce but question which advise you are going with. I can say you have the right to seek info where and when you want but to read from another site and then seeking advise here concerns me and contradicts the other often posing blame when things dont work out.
Nevertheless, we are here to help regardless and Treatment would be in a quarantine setting using seachem neoplex for at least 5-7 days.
Assure good water quality during treatment and increase oxygen via air stone as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick reply. That was my thought too, but can never be too sure!
You can rule out parasites, none of them grow in patches like that.
I’d say mucus/bacteria from a scrape injury.
Jay

OP
OP
Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is no doubt bacterial. Humblefish is elsewhere and I have high regards for bruce but question which advise you are going with. I can say you have the right to seek info where and when you want but to read from another site and then seeking advise here concerns me and contradicts the other often posing blame when things dont work out.
Nevertheless, we are here to help regardless and Treatment would be in a quarantine setting using seachem neoplex for at least 5-7 days.
Assure good water quality during treatment and increase oxygen via air stone as well.
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I honestly just remember he was very active on this site for a long time, so my apologies. I didn’t realize this was a thing. I had not asked for advice elsewhere or received any additional feedback to “cast blame”. I came here seeking advice, I knew he was active at one point and found a bunch of threads with him discussing infections. Apologies, I meant no offense.

Again, thank you for your advice. Do you not think this is something I can treat by binding the medication to the food? I’m not sure how I can possibly get him out. He tends to dart like lightning if he sees the net.

I really do appreciate everyone’s help.

OP
OP
Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I honestly just remember he was very active on this site for a long time, so my apologies. I didn’t realize this was a thing. I had not asked for advice elsewhere or received any additional feedback to “cast blame”. I came here seeking advice, I knew he was active at one point and found a bunch of threads with him discussing infections. Apologies, I meant no offense.

Again, thank you for your advice. Do you not think this is something I can treat by binding the medication to the food? I’m not sure how I can possibly get him out. He tends to dart like lightning if he sees the net.

I should clarify. Reef2reef threads was where I was seeing the name a lot. I didn’t even know he had a site till it was mentioned above. I honestly only come to reef2reef.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would separate the fish into a hospital tank and tread that way personally

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify. Reef2reef threads was where I was seeing the name a lot. I didn’t even know he had a site till it was mentioned above. I honestly only come to reef2reef.
Honestly, I'm surprised anyone jumped to the conclusion that you were trying to pit one forum against another... Seems like quite a leap from you simply asking a question and assuming that someone who used to be active here was still available for advice. And I believe quite a few of us who know of HF's forum visit there from time to time, not to "cast blame" but to further explore a problem or gain knowledge (or in many cases for me, his site comes up in a Google search ;) )

I hope your fish gets better - it's gorgeous!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

As mentioned you have the will to research and no need for apology. It will cause confusion. Yes you can add what you are referring which is seachem Metro along with Kanaplex. Metro is added to the foods at .5gm weight which is a Very Tiny amount

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I’ll ask the same thing I posed to vetteguy, any thoughts on treating by binding the meds to food?

thank you

No - despite what you'll read about "mixing medications with food", that will never work except by blind luck, unless you actually calculate the proper dose.

We have a dosing calculator here in the fish disease sticky section. Here is an article I wrote on the subject:

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would leave the fish alone unless that starts to get much worse. If the scrapes/spots turn red or protrude or get much bigger then I would treat with ABX in a quarantine tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back