ILLu Magic LED's

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to the group, is anyone running this new LED from ILLu Magic yet- if so could you share any likes or dislikes about this product.
This LED maker gets some pretty rave reviews in Taiwan and Australia.

Thanks RW

Illu LED.PNG

X90 LED.PNG

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of them before. They seem to have all the right parts (quality diodes, a good mix of color, etc).

They seem to have an odd market placement though. They appear to be pretty expensive in the US: the Blaze Xini retails for $250USD. As best as I can tell, however, they offer only three channels of control despite having many different colors of LEDs. The Xmini appears to offer a Bluetooth app, but that's about as sophisticated as it gets. I have no doubt it will grow corals. The diode mix appears to be solid, as does the power output and puck arrangements. Plus, hobbyists in the US grow corals with much cheaper black boxes every day.

It seems that, in general, LED lights fall into one of two categories: they're either cheap and simple, just enough to get the job done, or they're expensive and complex to appeal to the gear junkie who has to be able to control their LED light from the ISS if they want to. As I mentioned before, I don't know to what group this light is supposed to appeal. This doesn't seem to offer enough features or controllability to be an "expensive light," but it comes with the "expensive light" price tag.

If I was making the choice and a black box light was available to me, I would choose that over this. Of course, availability is a big factor. I live in the US where black boxes are cheap and widely available.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back