IM 112 Lagoon, what goes in the sump?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I may pull the trigger and go for a fish only setup. I'm looking at the IM 112 or 150 Lagoon complete. They currently are on sale, though 4 month wait.

So my question is, what other equipment do I need to put in it that is essential other than a RedSea Skimmer 600 and an ATO? Will that even fit in there? Or is there a better one?

ATO recommends for this?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish only, you really don't need much. filter socks or floss, ATO, Maybe the skimmer, but a place for carbon for sure, a bio brick.... thats about it really. And go for the 150 :) bigger is better I always say.
As for the ATO. Tunze is the one of choice for me.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish only, you really don't need much. filter socks or floss, ATO, Maybe the skimmer, but a place for carbon for sure, a bio brick.... thats about it really. And go for the 150 :) bigger is better I always say.
As for the ATO. Tunze is the one of choice for me.
thanks for the Tunze suggestion.
You don't think I would need a skimmer in there? Or a fleece roller?
I can add stuff later as required but I want to get my costs upfront.
I've been trying to find lights to attach to this but don't see any top views that show how I can attach them. Was thinking a single kessel.
Just makes me think I need so much more when is see other peoples lists of items. (when I search others 112 Lagoons they have "A LOT" of stuff in there under the hood)

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the Tunze suggestion.
You don't think I would need a skimmer in there? Or a fleece roller?
I can add stuff later as required but I want to get my costs upfront.
I've been trying to find lights to attach to this but don't see any top views that show how I can attach them. Was thinking a single kessel.
Just makes me think I need so much more when is see other peoples lists of items. (when I search others 112 Lagoons they have "A LOT" of stuff in there under the hood)
the skimmer can be used if you already have one. it's mainly a fish poo and extra food remover. the filter sock or floss will be more than enough. You can get a roller and it will do the same thing as a sock or floss, just more expensive.
The folks that have "alot under the hood" usually have corals and they have more intricate needs then fish.

As for lighting, you can go easy on that. fish don't need lighting to live like corals do. The lights it mainly to let them know the time of day and make their colors pop a bit more. For example, grab a couple of Current USA orbit marine strip lights and that will work just fine.

You may want to consider getting a gyre flow pump though. that will create a "ebe and flow" effect that most fish like.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back