1 Aquagadget media basket running rox .08 carbon and gfo
1 filter sock
Reef octopus ns-80 skimmer
Upgraded the pump to a sicce 1.5
1 spin stream nozzle
1 100 watt Neotherm heater
1 micro ato
2 t5 24" bulbs 1 coral plus and 1 blue plus with an ai prime in a fixture
20lbs cured brs pukani dry rock probably won't use it all.
10lbs caribsea special grade reef sand on top of 10lb caribsea pink Fiji sand.
Will be using Red Sea reef mature pro kit to cycle and will dose Red Sea products like nopox ect.

Livestock currently in 10g that will be slowly transferred are:
1 Ocellaris clownfish
1 Dusky jawfish
1 mini maxi
3 hermits
2 nassarius snails
3 astraea snails
1 emerald crab

Today I will mix water and hopefully get it wet. Any advice or suggestions are greatly aprrciated. I'm not 100% on what I'm gonna run in the back chambers. I wanna add a IM reactor but not sure if I'll have enough room after everything is in the back.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I opened my brute can of brs pukani dry rock and the water was a really dark rust color and kind of milky not sure what happened I had a 100watt heater and two power heads in it and a bag of gfo and carbon. I have no idea what happened, but now I'll have to clean the rock really well in rodi.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic die off. Dump all that water out and fill it with new RODI. Might have to do that a few tikmes until you get all that dead organic matter out of there. Any thing for flow in the brute? Might want to stick your power heads in there to keep things flowing.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The first picture is the equipment that was in it. You can kind of see the color I'm talking about.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had over 600gph in pumps and I have been dosing phosbuster pro and doing weekly water changes of saltwater for two months while using a Hana checker to get phosphates to zero. It was fine when I checked it three days ago I added a bag of gfo and carbon because I finally ran out of phosbuster. Maybe the gfo got loose and chopped up in the powerhead?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brown algae diatoms. Dead rock has a lot of dead stuff and sometimes it takes a while to cure. I prefer live rock, but it's expensive. One LFS near me charges $6/lb for the cheap stuff and I think $9 for stuff that's got nice coraline on it. I did that for my 14g Fusion, I only bought 5lbs and couldn't fit more than about 2-3... When I set up a 120 I'm going with dead Tonga rock from BRS and I'll be doing it exactly how you are.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would perfectly explain the rust colored water. GFO, granular ferric oxide, iron oxide, rust...
Ya it's definitely not organic matter I've been scrubbing every rock and every little hole with brushes and pulling stuff out with tweezers. I'm really starting to think it was the gfo. I'm going to fill a couple 5g buckets with rodi and scrub them really well in each bucket till the water is clear.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brown algae diatoms. Dead rock has a lot of dead stuff and sometimes it takes a while to cure. I prefer live rock, but it's expensive. One LFS near me charges $6/lb for the cheap stuff and I think $9 for stuff that's got nice coraline on it. I did that for my 14g Fusion, I only bought 5lbs and couldn't fit more than about 2-3... When I set up a 120 I'm going with dead Tonga rock from BRS and I'll be doing it exactly how you are.
I basically just dosed lanthanum chloride in saltwater then would do a water change see how high the phosphates got and would dose again to zero phosphates and just repeated till it stopped climbing and stayed at .02 without dosing.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbed the rock all day and I am gonna leave it in rodi water overnight with a powerhead for flow. Should be good for tomorrow.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I didn't clean my mixing powerhead good enough. The saltwater I mixed had brown stuff floating in it when I opened it the next day. So I have to fill it back up and try it again.

OP
OP
Rottinggore

Rottinggore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added sand and water. Tomorrow I will start the Red Sea mature pro kit.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back