IM 25 lagoon DIY stand Question

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a stand for my tank. I have started to question the materials that I have bought and need some reassurance that what I am about to do is ok. My plan is to build the heart of the stand out of 1x4 select pine using the rocket engineer model and wrapping the stand in 1/2” birch. Does anyone see a problem with the stand supporting the weight of the tank using the 1x4 instead of 2x4? I roughly figure the tank filled with water, sand, and rock to weigh somewhere in the ballpark of 300-350lbs but I could be wrong, please correct me if that is not inline. Any help would be appreciated.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no engineer, but I am a carpenter. I don't see any issue with using 1x4 select, especially if it's being wrapped/braced with 1/2" sheeting. Not sure how you plan to fasten everything, but add wood glue to the mix. Do you have plans you're working off of?

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no engineer, but I am a carpenter. I don't see any issue with using 1x4 select, especially if it's being wrapped/braced with 1/2" sheeting. Not sure how you plan to fasten everything, but add wood glue to the mix. Do you have plans you're working off of?
I am using Rocket Engineers plans I’m just building it to my own specs. I am going to fasten with screws using pocket holes that will be glued. I’m not sure that I will put in the green boards, but if I need them let me know.
5A141B09-0081-4EC2-B155-777369EE1222.png

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is more than adequate. The green boards will make it easier to assemble the frame, but are unnecessary once it's sheeted in the 1/2 birch.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back