IM 30L Chambers

scruggs1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running the stock set-up, minus the filter sock. I keep a sponge in the overflow chamber's top to catch debris/detritus and buffer the waterfall sound. I am thinking about pulling all that out and putting some LR pieces back there.

Here is my thoughts and I'd like to hear yours. First, as it is right now I only have a tail spot blenny because I like to be able to leave for a few days and not worry about feeding. The tail spot is small enough that it generally has enough algae to eat off the walls and LR. That being said, I only spot feed my corals about once a week and this isn't enough (IMO) to keep the hermits fed. (I only have 4). I have had an explosion of stomatella babies in the last two weeks and I think my hermits are eating them...and I'd rather have the stomatella than the hermits.

Second, my display looks a little too 'over rocked' and I'd like to pull some (to put in the back) for aesthetic reasons but not lose the bacterial surface area.

Also, with the sponge filters in there, I feel they are just nutrient traps that prevent some things from getting to my skimmer and getting pulled out before by weekly WC when I clean the sponges. If I only had rubble in the back, I'm thinking what the hermits didn't eat of the left over weekly feeding, would get skimmed out. I'm sure I will have to pull the rock and vacuum the chambers every so often, but does this sound like a good idea or bad? Has anyone done this successfully? Thanks!

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my IM40. I have few rubble rocks and macroalgae on one of the chambers. The other chamber has a filter sock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back