i'm confused about hanna test

herman_ator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my new hanna checkers and when I tested the phospahte url the test came back.90 color blue Yikes?
I then tested with api and I think it reads .25 - .50 very lite green. So what am I missing here? I ran three test with the hanna all the same
out of range I guess. I put some phosband in the HOB refuge about three days ago and nothing. What can I do?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too drastic, just breathe in and out for bit :) . Wait a few more days and test again, let the Phosban do it's thing or at least take two readings days apart to see if it's doing anything. 0.9 isn't an emergency. After your next test, see if you need to up the phosphate removal or feed less or whatever.

OP
OP
herman_ator

herman_ator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I should explain more. First I can't read so it was phosbond not phosband for the last four days. I am just now paying attention to 10 year old tank Been running fine but what you call dirty I am told. had 4 pink bubble anenomes that love the tank. So I bought gyre pumps 330's switched to ro/di and bought some frags. everybody hates tank now . anems are hiding. tank is crystal clear , no algea, c450 alk 14 phos .9+ m1350 no amonnia, no nitrate, some light orange nitrate.
I used to drip kalk in old set up and nothing else but well water. Okay now Iknow I am bad reefer but trying to get it right this time. any help would appreciated.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like you shocked the eco system.

They got used to living in a "dirty" tank and you just made it crystal clear ;)

Being a 10 year old tank I would think there is enough bac in there to stabilize eventually. But how long is the question.

I wouldnt go changing anything else at the moment. More change could lead to something else.

What are the other numbers in the tank like?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I should explain more. First I can't read so it was phosbond not phosband for the last four days. I am just now paying attention to 10 year old tank Been running fine but what you call dirty I am told. had 4 pink bubble anenomes that love the tank. So I bought gyre pumps 330's switched to ro/di and bought some frags. everybody hates tank now . anems are hiding. tank is crystal clear , no algea, c450 alk 14 phos .9+ m1350 no amonnia, no nitrate, some light orange nitrate.
I used to drip kalk in old set up and nothing else but well water. Okay now Iknow I am bad reefer but trying to get it right this time. any help would appreciated.
Ah well...now that's completely different. :) Ok...so I'm still going to say just breathe in and out for while. Drastic change is going to take a while for everything to get used to (and some likely may not get used to it). Focus on stability now and let everything settle in for a few weeks. If you want to tweak on parameters do it ever so slowly for a while.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else posted a day or so ago with bad batch of phosphate re-agent. Vial was deep blue after adding. For him it was just one pouch in the pack. The next one tested normally.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was the other thread.

OP
OP
herman_ator

herman_ator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have a new kid form North Carolina moved in area and we have had no LFS for years. Reason for not paying attention. I know alk is high and thats what I thought the problem was from the well water. very hard water here and 100ppm alk in test of well so I bought the ro/di Have changed 100 gals out of 150 tank so far and looks great but no corraline or algea. Skimmer seems to have gone to low skim cuase of no nutrients I guess. Just conmcered I was making mistake and ask first screw up later..:)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ignore the API kit. HANA is much better. Let the phosban do it's thing. As others have mentioned I would me more concerned about the high alkalinity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back