Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS (CAO 28 Jul 2022)

IMG20220728144739.jpg

Story
Too many military moves left to go big, so I finally settled on going small this round. It's been about 6 years since I had my IM 30L back in Colorado and now that I'm in Florida (3 assignments later), I visited an LFS here near Brandon/Riverview just East of Tampa this morning to check out what they had...ended up getting an IM Abyss Drop Off Panorama at a discount and couldn't pass it up...so brought'er home and busted out some new equipment I've been keeping on hand until I finished my move and got more settled in. So it's time to get this ball rolling. #staysalty #waywardropoff

Livestock
1 x Snowlfake Maroon / Marine Warehouse Aquarium / added 06 Jun 2020 (holds his own w/wrasse)
1 x Sixline Wrasse from Marine Warehouse Aquarium / added 09 May 2020 / Epstein'd '21
3 x Trochus snails from @reefcleaners / added 13 May 2020
5 x Florida cerith snails from @reefcleaners / added 13 May 2020
2 x Scarlet hermits from @reefcleaners / added 13 May 2020
Acanthastrea / Blue/Green / Reef Masters Inc / 23 May 2020
Acropora / Bali Green Slimer / Marine Warehouse Aquarium / 06 Jun 2020...overtaken by clove
Acropora / Sniper Blue Monster / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020...overtaken by clove
Blastomussa / Green/Red / Reef Masters Inc / 25 April 2020
Blastomussa / Blue/Green / Reef Masters Inc / 23 May 2020
Branching Hammer / Reef Masters Inc / 25 April 2020
Chalice / Jason Fox Raja Rampage / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Favia / WWC Super Space Monkey / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Favia / Joe's Mind Bender / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Favia / Joe's Jigsaw / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Favia / Hulk / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Goniastrea / Lemonade / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Hydnophora / Jason Fox Blueberry Blast / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020
Leptoseris / Orange / Reef Masters Inc / 23 May 2020
Montipora Capricornis / Chilipepper / Marine Warehouse Aquarium / 25 May 2020
Montipora Digitata / Bubblegum / Reef Masters Inc / 23 May 2020
Montipora Setosa / Pink / Marine Warehouse Aquarium / 06 Jun 2020
Montipora Setosa / Green / Reef Masters Inc / 04 September 2020
Octospawn / Green / Reef Masters Inc / 23 May 2020
Ricordea / Yellow & Green / Reef Masters Inc / April 2020
Rhodactis / Blue / Reef Masters Inc / 25 April 2020
Stylophora / Jason Fox Insane Sunset / @Joe Knows Reefs / 18 Jun 2020

Equipment
Tank - IM Nuvo Concept Abyss Drop Off Panorama (20 gal)
Light - AI Hydra 26 HD w/3Dreefing diffuser. Running Richie's AB+Curve 2.1 from the AI FB Group (aip can be downloaded here)
62592000_10157115405465941_8716671758280687616_n.jpg

ATO - AutoAqua Smart ATO w/AutoAqua smart sensor (replaced tunze)
RO - BRS 5 stage (from older build)
Cable raceways (for wire management)
Heaters - Cobalt Neotherm 75w (2 for redundancy)
Skimmer - IM NUVOSkim DC Desktop
Pumps - Sicce Micra Plus 158 gph (1 for each return nozzle and redundancy 316 gph total)...replaced with IM DC Pump Jul '22
Wavemakers - 2 x Aqamai KPS WiFi Pumps
UV - IM Desktop UV
Doser - Kamoer X2 (doses NOPOX & AFR)
Floss Holder - inTank Floss Holder
Rock - TLF Stax (20lbs) & TLF LittleRox (7 lbs/3Kg)
ATO Rez - IM AUQA Gadget HydroFill ATO Reservoir w/return
Nozzles - VCA RFGs w/IM adaptors
Light Mount - AI HMS Single Arm
Salt - TM Pro
Additives - TM All-for-Reef & NOPOX
Heater Controller - Inkbird Wifi ITC 308
Power - TP Link Kasa WiFi Power Strips

Camera Equipment
Canon 6D MKii DSLR Camera
Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Tamron 90 SP f/2.8 Macro
Monfrotto Tripod
Extension Tubes
@AVAST Marine Porthole w/blue light filter
Google Pixel w/Coral Vue Icecap Lenses

Initial Setup Shots
IMG_20200229_134832.jpg

IMG_20200229_134942.jpg

IMG_20200229_135022.jpg
IMG_20200229_170423.jpg
IMG_20200905_002601_235.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting packages on your door just beg's for you to start assembling things while you're still waiting on more items to arrive...here is the play-by-play from today before I finally stopped to make some dinner.

1. Inspected the packages. Complete on 2/3 of them. I haven't opened up the box of Stax rocks yet...want to save that until I have more time and just in case they're all busted...so far everything arrived save and in working order.

1.jpg

2. The little things...installed the innovative marine ATO return line. You have to unscrew one of the bolts and flip it around if you're using tanks with thinner glass, but it definitely still can be used/fits. This model of IM aquarium has a small "shelf" from the drop off that extends into the return chamber, so I just put this just above that space since I won't use that space for anything anyway.

2.jpg

3. inTank Floss holder and Cobalt 75 watt heaters. I wanted 2 heaters for redundancy...so I got 2 of the 75w models. They're just short enough to fit underneath the inTank Floss holder so I don't have to take up any other slots in the rear of the AIO...only caveat. You have to remove the small piece that directs the water into the custom caddy's, but ...when you have the heater cords in there, they'll push the floss holder forward, so you don't need that piece anyway. Look through the floss holder and you see the two heaters.

4.jpg

4. Skimmer and cable mangement...so I'm an IT guy by trade...so I have lots of cable management ideas...I went with some raceways that are easy to use and route cables/maintenance loops. So far so good. I also trimmed the air inlet hose and then mounted the silencer to the tank w/a ziptie to keep it ship shape...the skimmer is still easy to remove...just pull the hose from the skimmer and the rest stays there attached to the tank. Here you can also see how the raceyways are w/out the covers.

5.jpg

5. Fuge section...this isn't a huge fuge section...and it'll be less about nutrient export and more of a pod hotel than anything. I plan on running chaeto. Here is the IM fuge light attached w/cable routed and a shot of it on.

6.jpg
7.jpg

6. On to some flow. I got two of the Aqamai KPS pumps. They're small, easy to program modes over wifi, and aren't overly powered for the tank. Each one is rated from 370-1050...(740-2100 combined) so combining those with the VCA RFGs I have in the mail should be plenty. Also here are the return pumps. I replaced the stock return w/two Sicce Mirca Plus pumps, each at 158 GPH...stock pump was just over 200...combined here is ~316 (~15 times per hour turnover) and provides a small bit of redundancy if one pump fails.

8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
IMG_20200304_185535~2.jpg

7. Cable management time...for now at least. First shot is kind of the "before" w/out the covers. Next shot are routed w/covers. Final few shots are of the tank in position and how "clean" the install is so far. I def don't want a hot mess of cabling and the nicer/cleaner I can get everything, the more the wifey will love me for it :p:cool:

11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

So that's all for today's update. I still have items in the mail and I still haven't decided on a few things...so I'm open to suggestions on the following:

1. Barebottom or sand?? I'm on the fence...I kind of want to go barebottom and do an SPS tank...but at the same time...it just "looks" more natural to the fam/visitors w/sand and then you can have different livestock...looking for any current thoughts folks have on the subject

2. Controller...I kind of want to wait for the hydros controller to finally go on sale tbh...Apex isn't bad...and the GHL is tempting as well...or maybe I'll just go with some simple wifi controllable power strips and not get too crazy on the "control" aspect of things...

If you made it down this far....thanks for giving it all a look over. Open to any questions/comments! #staysalty #waywardropoff

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and threw up a quick aquascape before calling it a night

IMG_20200304_232602~2.jpg
IMG_20200304_232536~2.jpg
IMG_20200304_232527~2.jpg
IMG_20200304_232506~2.jpg
IMG_20200304_232522~2.jpg
IMG_20200304_232501~2.jpg
Love the scape. I’m a big fan of the Stax rocks and they really work great in this type of tank. I’m not usually a fan of bare bottom but you don’t have a lot of open real estate down there so it might not be too noticeable. You could also go with brownish tiles on the bottom so it’s not black and gives the illusion of substrate. Following along, can’t wait to see it up and running.

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the inkBird wifi controller in the mail today. I just got it configured to my network and messed around to ensure that everything is operational... So far so good and pretty easy to use. I plan on hooking up the primary heater to the inkbird controller and my secondary heater stand alone. I will be using the controller as the primary method of turning on and off the primary heater...the secondary/backup heater set just below in case of failure...if I don't end up with a controller like an Apex/GHL/etc....then I'll prob hook the inkBird to a smart temp from Auto aqua (if inkbird fails on...then cobalt internal....if cobalt internal fails on...then Auto aqua)...at least that's the idea...

IMG_20200306_173730~2.jpg

Screenshot_20200306-173654.png

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200319_194653~2.jpg

Prepping the new WiFi power strips. TP Link Kasa strips. Super easy to setup/configure. You can setup/program each individual plug and make logical groups for mass configs. Keeping this build simpler than a full-blown controller setup since that is something I will plan to do post retirement when we have our forever home. This way I can repurpose these strips for something else later without going too crazy now with technology that will probably be replaced by the time we're settled.

Screenshot_20200319-193301.png

IMG_20200319_210509~2.jpg

installed under the cabinet

IMG_20200319_210454~2.jpg

Just about as clean of cabling install I'm going to do for today...

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did some testing on the Icecap Stackable Multi-lens kit for phones. The light is an AI Hydra 26 HD running AB+ clone (still in cycle and only using light for this test).

Below is a quick layout of no filter/15k/20k/stacked and how the lenses look through a Pixel 3 and stock photo app and a third party HD Camera App. These photos are straight out of the camera with no additional edits. The first photo is the stock app and the second is the HD camera app. Software in the stock app doesn't work well with the filters. They're also taken in the same room with the same light and you can see where the pixel illuminated the area through software.

I do like the filters and the small macro lens it came with, but not happy with Google for their photo software taking over too much...I used to have the ability to modify more settings but after a few updates, those abilities are gone...so when it comes to taking photos of the tank with my phone...third party apps it is #staysalty #waywardropoff

IMG_20200322_132758.jpg

IMG_20200322_134618.jpg

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 into the Red Sea Mature Kit. So far so good. About a week or so prior to getting the kit in the mail I had kicked things off w/a shrimp (old school style) , some Dr. Tims, and a bit of Vibrant. I'm going to be dosing vibrant from the start to see how well that does throughout the course of the cycle and the tank. About mid-week I had a very small bacteria bloom that lasted about 2 days and cleared up.

Got a small Nitrite spike today as expected and dosing the system as scheduled in the instructions. Its much easier to cycle a tank and not add livestock when stores are closed due to quarantine...

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to swap out the Tunze ATO for the AutoAqua Smart ATO. I was just having too many issues with the Tunze overfilling and it took up more room in the back of the return area than I liked. Although the AutoAqua Smart ATO wasn't as cooperative as I had hoped...at first anyway. After the swap things were going well until I got the first alarm about "bubbles".

My fix/solution...I use wifi power strips vs a controller...each outlet is controllable/able to be scheduled...so I programmed the outlet for the ATO to shut off/back on a few times a day to reset it...this eliminated the issue...I no longer get the red light/bubble warning error.

Also, prior to going into the wifi strip, its plugged into the AutoAqua water level sensor that will shut down the ATO if it should overfill...so far so good. Ever since making the swap/change, it has been working great.

As for the cycle...sitting at Day 9 of the Red Sea Mature kit...i've had a decent spike in Nitrite and things are going smooth...with all the daily testing w/salifert or red sea or hanna kits...I had been taking out a lot of water...salinity was under 34 today...so bumped up my salinty with some additional salt in the rear section and brought everything up to 35 (hanna checker).

...and the cycle....continues

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 3D printer....started to make some mods...first is just a clamp to push the custom caddy forward and keep it in place...2d is test fitting my prototype Skimmer Cup Adjustment Tool...or SCAT...yano...scat = poo... Anyways...I hate the rubber ring for adjusting cup height in the ghost skimmer...cup attached to a rod that's kept in place by a screw under tension....still some tweaking....looking for feedback....#waywardropoff #staysalty #3dprint

IMG_20200415_191244~2.jpg

IMG_20200415_191958~2.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 3D printer....started to make some mods...first is just a clamp to push the custom caddy forward and keep it in place...2d is test fitting my prototype Skimmer Cup Adjustment Tool...or SCAT...yano...scat = poo... Anyways...I hate the rubber ring for adjusting cup height in the ghost skimmer...cup attached to a rod that's kept in place by a screw under tension....still some tweaking....looking for feedback....#waywardropoff #staysalty #3dprint

IMG_20200415_191244~2.jpg

IMG_20200415_191958~2.jpg
I like the SCAT. I wouldn’t have thought of it myself, I never had any problems with the rubber gasket when I was using an IM skimmer, but I would use the SCAT if I had one. Nice work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back