I'm new IDK what to do! Dosing/Dosing questions

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure how i would to put this all together but here goes

I'm wondering if i should dose, what i should dose and if I'm just crazy.. I've done some research and i still just cant decide.

My tank stays around these parameters

As of last night 3/14 and about an hour before lights off cycle and this was after a 50% water change 8 hours prior
DKH 7.5
Calc 470ish
PH 8.1
Nitrate 5 or less
Phos around 0
Mag 1500 range
Salinity 1.026

I use Red Sea blue bucket and dont wish to move away from this, or move to coral pro
My mag i want to keep that high or around there,
I would like to not persay chase 8.5/9 DKH as i would moreso like to bring calc down/balance the two
My alk stays around the range of 7.5 with hobby grade test kits and i feel my corals use a slight amount if any at all that's detectable, over the next 6 days im going to keep doing daily tests to see if i can see an downward trend of usage and go from there.
Any time i do test my alk it is around the 7.5 mark so i feel it is somewhat stable
I also dont have major PH swings and have a stable number of around 8+

When i mix salt and test my mixing tub it comes out to
DKH 8.4
Calc 455
Ph 8.2
Mag 1420
This was the previous batch and will be making more/testing later on tonight ( I know it says 8.4 and my tank is at or around 7.5, that's why I want to remix and retest my next batch after i have gotten better at using Red Sea test kits)

Now having said all this, I do have Red sea foundation B, All for Reef and Kalkwasser (Which id prefer not to dose in my ATO container) and a single head dose pump (for now)
I've heard of a lot of people say that you can dose alk alone by itself and on the other hand to dose something like 2 part/kalkwasser or all for reef and don't worry about the calc, and that they will balance out ( which i know they feed off of one another and have correlation)

My stocking list is fairly light ( i have about 3 hammers, one of which has 10 heads, a few acans which is the size of almost a baseball and some other various little frags)

I just dont really know where to start or what to do given all ive said and wanted someone elses eyes on this hence all the details

If anyone has any input good or bad, please post it! Thanks

Last edited:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To adjust low salt mixes you can add additives to match your current tank levels.
It's perfectly OK to add only one additive to 'up' any given parameter. But make sure your Mag is at least 1280ish. Otherwise Alk and Ca readings will be off.

As per dosing, start by testing your tank every couple days to find a usage trend.
If the levels stay close to where you want them between WCs you don't need to dose.

If you find you need to dose between WCs, track your tests with a spreadsheet/notepad, then divided the amounts by days etc. to dose as needed.

Judging by both your salt mix and tank params, I don't see a need to be dosing anything at this point. Not until you see drops between WCs

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, My levels seems to be stable, but i feel the Calc is just a tad higher then where id like to be. and where as my alk is on the lower end but still acceptable but just close to what others would deem as to low around 7 and right on that fine line of, acceptable vs not ideal

Im also on day 2/7 on testing before my next WC forgot to add that

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their specs, and the 2 buckets I used to start new systems, Blue bucket @ 1.026 should give you;
Mag 1280
Alk 8
Ca 430

If you're not using the whole bucket in one go, roll it around 5-10 minutes to thoroughly mix the contents before use. Elements in the bucket can settle during shipping and skew mixing results.

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their specs, and the 2 buckets I used to start new systems, Blue bucket @ 1.026 should give you;
Mag 1280
Alk 8
Ca 430

If you're not using the whole bucket in one go, roll it around 5-10 minutes to thoroughly mix the contents before use. Elements in the bucket can settle during shipping and skew mixing results.
Il try that on the next bucket, as im almost thru my first thanks!

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'll pass along some thoughts.

I would get a Hanna Alk Checker and check everyday/every other day at the same time everyday. I like to test shortly before lights on.

It does look like your Alk might be dropping.

If needed, I would recommend dosing Kalkwasser seperately from your ATO. I dose just below my evaporation rate (about 25% below) so I can keep my dosing consistent/constant. I dose using a 50 ml / minute doser from BRS which works very well using a BN-LINK Interval Timer which doses every hour.

If I need more alk/calc I dose Randy's true two part which includes Mg.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think my mag mixed a bit higher from the red sea blue bucket but i may need to recheck myself. I dose 2 part and only use a dosing pump for alkalinity as it can precipitate if not drip dosed while calcium is much easier to pour into the tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use bulk reef supply 2 part soda ash for alkalinity, and brightwell reef code a for calcium (also has some magnesium, and strontium which is nice)

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'll pass along some thoughts.

I would get a Hanna Alk Checker and check everyday/every other day at the same time everyday. I like to test shortly before lights on.

It does look like your Alk might be dropping.

If needed, I would recommend dosing Kalkwasser seperately from your ATO. I dose just below my evaporation rate (about 25% below) so I can keep my dosing consistent/constant. I dose using a 50 ml / minute doser from BRS which works very well using a BN-LINK Interval Timer which doses every hour.

If I need more alk/calc I dose Randy's true two part which includes Mg.
I have a hanna, and used it roughly 6 times, before last night it took an unexpected l.low error sadly, and i found that it had such a wider range that it would be at vs the red sea test kit, i would get more consistent testing with the red sea

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also curious that dedragon and mono mention mg when my levels are at 1500 and thats with 0 dosing or additive or anything, right from the bucket

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1500 Mag is not a big issue and will eventually drop, as long as what you add is lower.
So with tank usage and WCs you'll be fine

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test magnesium right now in a new bucket but am waiting to get new refractometer calibration solution because im out. I think it tested a bit higher than 1280 but not nearly 1500+, i do mix to 1.025 not 1.026 though, and rarely test my magnesium unless calcium and alkalinity are out of whack. 1500 isnt a big prob though

OP
OP
jser388

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was told by my lfs that the mag isnt really an issue and red sea blue bucket mixes higher anyways(or so they say) and im assuming theyre wrong and i took a spike when i didnt roll the bucket/ mix the salt mix beforehand

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I've never tried to 'roll' a bucket of Blue. I imagine you'll need to pour the bag back into the bucket to do so, and screw the lid on tight.
And from previous experience with IO buckets, when you're done bang on the top a bit to get the worst of the crystals off the lid before opening.
And let it sit a few minutes as the dust needs to settle.
Good luck !!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back