OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taggin along on this thread. I have the Nuvo 40.

I have the eheim 100w heater.
I used to have the lid that came with it but I think the light is not penetrating so I remove it for now.
The light is Kessil 360w.
I currently have the Ghost skimmer and it is ok for now but saving $ for something. I have the Aquamaxx hob1 sitting in the garage bec I don’t like the way it looks.

I have the same heater.
I dislike the white screen a lot but my sps are coloring up nicely with great PE so I have to assume the ATI T5 is putting out sufficient light. I need the screen now because I do not want my Lightenings to jump out. I am going to change out lid for a custom built acrylic one soon.
After looking around quite a bit, I have realized the Tunze is not going to look good or really fit, so I will probably go with the Ghost because it's designed for the tank.
Love the Aquamaxx but it will detract as well.

So tank has diatoms, tank is not a month old yet. Add sps 1 week ago. I can see growth to the new Stylo already as well and a nice color shift. No scape yet, everything is cooking until I get the scape cycled and then I will clue all the corals down.
im20acroporanov11.jpg

IMlighteningnov11.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the Ghost Skimmer has pretty bad reviews. There has to be better options?

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the Ghost Skimmer has pretty bad reviews. There has to be better options?

Yeah I have had this skimmer and did not like it.

I may to have to go skimmer less for awhile until I find something I can live with. Do not want a hang on the back.

I do 2 gallon weekly water changes, the tank probably has 15 gallons with all the sand and the deep sand bed so I am not too concerned, I have time to work it out.

:)

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to make it fit You have to split the return to 2 separate pumps. The tunze will fit in the middle.

Ok.

Are you still using the magnet? Did you upgrade the stock pump? If so what pumps?

Thanks so much for your advise.

Welcome to R2R. :)

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no problem. I took out the stock 211gph pump and put in 2 tunze silence 1073.008. You super glue the thinner magnet to the side of the skimmer.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent!

What ATO are you using?

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze osmolator nano 3152. I wasn't planning on it at first but due to the design of the tank, all the evaporation is seen in the pump chamber with the skimmer. So the ato is almost a necessity if running the 9001 like this.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would not even bother with a skimmer if I did not have an ATO, that would be lesson in frustration.
I have seen some IM 20 with a lid on the back compartment as well, I may look into that.

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used one myself, so I can't really say too much about it out of personal experience. But I did do quite a bit of research on which skimmer to get for my tank beforehand and the general consensus seems to be sort of hit or miss. But most people say the ghost skimmer can work pretty good once properly dialed in, but is a little louder than they'd like.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this tank because you can just reach in front and back no standing on ladders, no yoga needed to work in or around the tank.

Went with a small scape of Pukani and Tongan Rock, minimal scape so I am able to clean the back wall and keep it black. Deep sand bed to bring up the scape, enhance the biological filter.

Going mostly sps, and zoanthids. Just a few and let them grow. Not going to fill up the sand bed or leave frags in the sand. Clowns will get too big in a year, and the clam not sure what to do with my Hippopus. All corals and fish doing really well though.

Used live sand, cooked by rock for 2 weeks in a separate container, bacteria in a bottle, long seeded mechanical filtration.

Going to add another Mp10 to the other end, will change pump, added another and the Tunze will go in the middle as advised. Probably 4-6 months down the line will add the dosing pump. Chemistry managed by routine water changes. Awesome. ;Singing

Just an update before the uglies set in. :confused:
imnovember15.jpg

imreef.jpg

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide on a skimmer as well but really don't want to split the returns at this point for the Tunze.

20171028_160151-jpg.603590

20171107_154608-jpg.609362

20171107_154722-jpg.609361

20171107_154640-jpg.609360

That looks fantastic, now have I scape envy again. :p

Is that a NanoBox LED?

Which Mp is that?

Since I just happen to have other pumps and lines from the 45 the switch will be easy for me, and I have the skimmer. I really do like the Tunze 9001 very quiet so I am going that direction.

What ATO do you have?

Sorry for all the questions, or if I have asked them before. :)

Last edited:

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic, now I scape envy again. :p

Is that a NanoBox LED?

Which Mp is that?

Since I just happen to have other pumps and lines from the 45 the switch will be easy for me, and I have the skimmer. I really do like the Tunze 9001 very quiet so I am going that direction.

What ATO do you have?

Looks like a nanobox duo. I have the same light.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic, now I scape envy again. :p

Is that a NanoBox LED?

Which Mp is that?

What ATO do you have?

No way... I like your aquascape! I wanted to do something closer to yours (tried but no luck). When I first added to tank I had another piece in there but when I moved it everything shifted and couldn't get it back how I had it.

• Lighting: Nanobox Duo Plus M
  • Flow: Sicce 1.5, Jebao SW4, MP10QD - haven't hooked up the SW4 as of yet
  • Filtration: 2 inTank Media baskets (Filter floss, Seachem Purigen, my own bags of GFO/Carbon)
  • Siporax Filter Media
  • Heater: Eheim Jager 75w
  • ATO: Tunze 3155 Osmolator
  • Skimmer: Reef Glass Nano **** Never set it up. Maybe I need to give it a try before I try something else
  • Rock: Marco Rocks
  • Sand: Tropic Eden Reef Flakes
  • Salt: IO Reef Crystals
  • ADJ Products PC-100A AC POWER STRIP
  • APC Back-UPS Pro 1000VA UPS
  • Flipper Nano Magnet Cleaner **** This thing sucks!! I have the bigger one on my main tank which works great but this nano one is garbage

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup those Flipper Nano Magnets do suck.
Not familiar with the skimmer, never even heard of it.
Corals look great so the light must be doing the job. I just can not force myself to go LED again. My Hydra worked well for about 2 years and then it went wonky. Loved how it looked, and worked initially, and shimmer. I am going to stick it out with the ATI T5, the corals have really colored up nicely since I got them 2 weeks ago and there is new growth.
I am using IO.
Generic charcoal and phosguard.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back