OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheryl speaks another language that I struggle to understand, but I'm still following. ;)

:p

As do I follow you.;Shy

It's that obsessive, dylexia mad scientist thingy I have going on.

When I was setting up this tank I had containers cycling, bubbling, air hoses, rocks all over the house for 2 weeks. My family just shakes their heads and walk away mumbling. ;Wacky

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!
Thank you. :)

Swapped out the stock pump, which was 211 gph, for two Cobolt 1200's 295 gph return pumps, huge difference. With the Mp10 that will be more than enough flow for sps.

Added a Cuc and a Fire Shrimp. :)

Have 3 more frags arriving. :)

Really happy with the light, ATI 4 bulb fixture, fits perfectly on this tank.

Love working on this tank because I can remove the entire scape to glue things down. I kept this tank more than a foot away from the wall, so much easier to work in.

im20nuvonov22.jpg

imstylonov22.jpg

Seeing some nice pe.;Smug

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. :)

Swapped out the stock pump, which was 211 gph, for two Cobolt 1200's 295 gph return pumps, huge difference. With the Mp10 that will be more than enough flow for sps.

Added a Cuc and a Fire Shrimp. :)

Have 3 more frags arriving. :)

Really happy with the light, ATI 4 bulb fixture, fits perfectly on this tank.

Love working on this tank because I can remove the entire scape to glue things down. I kept this tank more than a foot away from the wall, so much easier to work in.

im20nuvonov22.jpg

imstylonov22.jpg

Seeing some nice pe.;Smug
It's looking real nice!

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an mp10 too. Wanted to try it out. This thing is incredibly powerful. If I turn it above like 15% my sand goes flying. And at the lowest setting with all other pumps off I get a full horizontal gyre in the tank.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahoe61 did you end up going with your Tunze 9001 skimmer?

Have not tried putting the skimmer in yet. The Cobalt pumps might be too big to fit the skimmer now, but I needed the flow more than a skimmer at this point.

It's looking real nice!

Thank you.

I just picked up an mp10 too. Wanted to try it out. This thing is incredibly powerful. If I turn it above like 15% my sand goes flying. And at the lowest setting with all other pumps off I get a full horizontal gyre in the tank.

Yeah I get a nice random flow pattern on wave crest with the Mp10 and the two Cobalts.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahoe61

You have experience with the Tunze skimmers. Whats the best way to operate these skimmers? I've had mine running for 13 hours now and I don't know how to adjust for a dry skim and if I turn the return pump off for feed mode, the skimmer over flows. Since I feed twice a day, I don't feel like it will ever gain any skimmate?

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take about 1 week to dial in, set it with low air intake and let it run like that for a day or two and then ever so slowly open the air intake. Make sure the water level comes up to the water line mark on the body of the skimmer. When you turn off the return pump does the water level in the back chamber go up? That is probably what is happening. I never turn off the return pumps to feed but I do turn down the Mp. Which model did you get the Doc 9001?

HTH :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take about 1 week to dial in, set it with low air intake and let it run like that for a day or two and then ever so slowly open the air intake. Make sure the water level comes up to the water line mark on the body of the skimmer. When you turn off the return pump does the water level in the back chamber go up? That is probably what is happening. I never turn off the return pumps to feed but I do turn down the Mp. Which model did you get the Doc 9001?

HTH :)
It's the 9004. Yes I have the skimmer set at the level mark. I will admit the airline was open pretty good. I'll adjust it to its lowest air flow. And yes, when I turn off the return pump the water raises in the back chamber. This is a learning curve. I have feed buttons on the wave makers. I can try that for awhile. Thank you!

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 2 months in and the tank is doing well. Continue 2 gallon water changes every other day. No skimmer, no dosing, no testing except SG. Nice growth from the Acropora and LPS. Adding a Hawkins and a Birdsnest this week. Just looking for the perfect Sarmentosa. I have almost enough zoanthids.

imreef2reefdec10.jpg

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months in.
The uglies have been pretty kind to me, not too bad.
All corals really growing nicely. Got a Hawkins, it should color back up nicely. Nice growth and coloration improvement to acros. Clown is looking like the boss.
b nreef2reef.jpg

reef2reefacropora.jpg

reef2reehawk.jpg

reef2reef clown.jpg

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months in.
The uglies have been pretty kind to me, not too bad.
All corals really growing nicely. Got a Hawkins, it should color back up nicely. Nice growth and coloration improvement to acros. Clown is looking like the boss.
b nreef2reef.jpg

reef2reefacropora.jpg

reef2reehawk.jpg

reef2reef clown.jpg

Nice @Tahoe61 maybe I need to go the every other day route also.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice @Tahoe61 maybe I need to go the every other day route also.

I figure I am replacing at least 6 gallons/week. I also get the tooth brush out and scrub the back walls and corners. The beautiful thing about this tank is the low profile that allows you to just reach in. I have made a commitment, I am going to keep the back black and clean!!!!!!!

The ghost skimmer works just fine. No issues in 2 years.

I’ve had no issues with mine, going on a year

What ATO are you using? (sorry if I have asked this before).

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I am replacing at least 6 gallons/week. I also get the tooth brush out and scrub the back walls and corners. The beautiful thing about this tank is the low profile that allows you to just reach in. I have made a commitment, I am going to keep the back black and clean!!!!!!!

What ATO are you using? (sorry if I have asked this before).

Tunze

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my nuvo up and running for a while now, link in signature. Has anyone added a sump to there's?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back