IM or Red Sea AIO: yet another sorta newbie

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! I was a mariner a few decades ago when I inherited my Dad's tank before going dark—but here I am again discovering the wonder of the AIO world.

I'm debating between two AIO brands (IM and RS) and a few variety of AIO sizes: IM 50g Lagoon, 40g Long, 60g SR; or RS Max E 170/45g. Note that I'm looking for more of a fish-forward, low-coral environment which likely makes the IM 60g SR not the choice for me. (It's how my brain works and appreciates a tank's energy.) 60g is my likely max as it'll be in an upstairs office where I don't want to over stress the floors in the new home. (Yay, I'm settled and can have my tank finally!) And yeah, that's the right room for me as it's as much for the stress relief as the hobby.

I had done my research and settled on the IM 40 Lagoon until I decided I could do more. Most of the threads and many of the YT videos say go bigger than smaller (but not too big) if you're a beginner so you have more buffer for making mistakes. Hence the new sizes and volumes. Then I discovered the (dum-dum-duuuuum) Red Sea catastrophe thread where seams give way. Most seem to be from 2014–2018 with some stragglers into 2021. Then I found some IM seam issues over the years in the threads, but nowhere near as many mentions of failures. There will always be failures, just like there are car recalls and defects, so I'm not sure if they are more "squeaky wheel" complaints or endemic structural issues.

Given that I'm new to this again and my job is stupid busy as complete an AIO as I can find makes the most sense. So need I fear the RS (which has everything) or even the IM (which has 90% of everything)? Keep in mind I'm also eyeing the $500–1000 savings as well. Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting aside the "great seam debate", all AIO tanks are inherently limiting. While the IM may seem like it features more, you'll typically end up upgrading the media caddy, skimmer and pump to non-IM versions for any IM AIO tank. On the flip side, the Red Sea AIOs don't feature a great skimmer - and you also need to upgrade the media caddy.

The Red Sea has a better cabinet than the IM APS stand, and they also offer an optional external in-cabinet sump and plumbing so you can turn your AIO into a true tank+external sump setup at any time.

OP
OP
dracogrey

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting aside the "great seam debate", all AIO tanks are inherently limiting. While the IM may seem like it features more, you'll typically end up upgrading the media caddy, skimmer and pump to non-IM versions for any IM AIO tank. On the flip side, the Red Sea AIOs don't feature a great skimmer - and you also need to upgrade the media caddy.

The Red Sea has a better cabinet than the IM APS stand, and they also offer an optional external in-cabinet sump and plumbing so you can turn your AIO into a true tank+external sump setup at any time.
I'm down with upgrading the equipment. I know that it's the basics but the AIO supports the needs today. That said, you're right about the Red Sea bing plumbable for future sumps. I also went into my third LFS and got a third reco. I've gotten Red Sea, Prostar and now Planet Aquarium. Prostar I'm not sure about, but willing to try it. However the Planet AIO is intriguing if for nothing but the price. Lots of information and opinions to sift through.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM AIO all the way. The IM 40L is sweeeet. Long enough to get some fish that won't do as well in a cube tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested as too why the red sea has a better stand? Just curious if red sea maybe updated the stands or anything

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't. IM aluminum stand is way better than red sea
Ask anyone who has an IM APS stand what they think of it. Then come back and share your thoughts. If IM actually redesigned their APS stand with removable panels (like the Red Sea S-models), then they'd have a winning combination.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested as too why the red sea has a better stand? Just curious if red sea maybe updated the stands or anything
All the Red Sea stands are marine-laminated plywood now (no MDF). From a functionality standpoint, they're just a better fix/finish than the current IM APS aluminum stands.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask anyone who has an IM APS stand what they think of it. Then come back and share your thoughts. If IM actually redesigned their APS stand with removable panels (like the Red Sea S-models), then they'd have a winning combination.
I had a red sea reefer 350 and now a IM 200g peninsula. I will never buy a non aluminum stand. So yes, I have experience with both.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the aquariums themselves though? TY!
IMO, the brand doesn't matter much. Get the tank with the dimension that you want. That's what matters. I am not a fan of cube tanks because it limits your aquacape and vertical space is often wasted. Hence why I like the 40L. You can fit more fish and more corals. Both IM and RS make great tanks.

OP
OP
dracogrey

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the brand doesn't matter much. Get the tank with the dimension that you want. That's what matters. I am not a fan of cube tanks because it limits your aquacape and vertical space is often wasted. Hence why I like the 40L. You can fit more fish and more corals. Both IM and RS make great tanks.
Do you feel the leak issues are overrated for both? Its Bound to happen to any mass produced item.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major leak issues seem to be more of a problem with the red sea reefer series and not the all in one from what I understand. My friend had one fail this year, and dealing with customer service from them was also a major pain.

OP
OP
dracogrey

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major leak issues seem to be more of a problem with the red sea reefer series and not the all in one from what I understand. My friend had one fail this year, and dealing with customer service from them was also a major pain.
Much obliged. now If only all my LFS would agree on a brand. I’ve now got Prostar and Planet Aquarium being reco’d.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its primarily for fish, why not save money and just buy the parts yourself? You'd definitely be able to get a bigger tank.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much obliged. now If only all my LFS would agree on a brand. I’ve now got Prostar and Planet Aquarium being reco’d.
I didn't know prostar or planet aquarium makes AIO. Even if they do, I wouldn't get them since they are not well known players in AIO. I think you are over thinking this =P

OP
OP
dracogrey

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know prostar or planet aquarium makes AIO. Even if they do, I wouldn't get them since they are not well known players in AIO. I think you are over thinking this =P
Oh most definitely. There are more rabbit holes than flat worms in the marine world When you start researching. Seriously though, this short thread in this forum has helped. Especially as the logic says to trust your LFS. Finding the “one” there takes time as well.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned 4 IM all in ones. I currently own an SR80 and also have RS reefer 625xxl. I've had the IM 30L as well as the lagoon 50 and the lagoon 25. The APS aluminum stands are way better than anything else out there. Solid as a rock and takes about 30 minutes to put together. I believe even the big boy red sea tanks are transitioning to Aluminum. With that said the RS stands are good but I just prefer the look and durability of the aluminum. You can't go wrong with IM all in ones.

OP
OP
dracogrey

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned 4 IM all in ones. I currently own an SR80 and also have RS reefer 625xxl. I've had the IM 30L as well as the lagoon 50 and the lagoon 25. The APS aluminum stands are way better than anything else out there. Solid as a rock and takes about 30 minutes to put together. I believe even the big boy red sea tanks are transitioning to Aluminum. With that said the RS stands are good but I just prefer the look and durability of the aluminum. You can't go wrong with IM all in ones.
ah. An IM vet. This helps immensely. TY!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back