IM plumbing question

likemike99

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
193
Location
Pensacola, Fl
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have never seen the actual plumbing in an IM tank until now.
1753285694258.png

from right to left
main drain
return
overflow #1
overflow #2

my question is about the main drain- far right. it looks to be set up as full vacuum with a gate valve to adjust flow. but why is the suction pipe so low. it seems to me that this is a bad design- as if anything happens to the return flow it will drain the whole area in the overflow box... possibly/ likely overflowing the sump. if the pipe were not as long it would have no difference in function but if a problem witht the overflow then it would drain less before it got air. Am I missing something? I know they are good tanks so I was thinking I am missing something.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new