IM SR-60 - 1st Build!

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Reefers!

I'm excited to start logging the progress of my first tank and, seeing the attractiveness of Innovative Marine's offerings, had the opportunity to snag a Shallow Reef-60 gallon all-in-one from a semi-local reefer for a good price.

It's interesting to see how I found myself in this hobby as I wanted to teach my children (7 and 5yrs old) about marine biology and ecosystems. I floated the idea of a small, freshwater tank to my wife who quickly turned my "inexpensive and small" idea into a 55gal+ saltwater mixed reef!:rolleyes: But I suppose having her on board early will help later since virtually everyone has explained this hobby can get pretty pricey. Thanks for all of your threads, build logs, and information! By far Reef2Reef and its sponsors have been an invaluable resource for someone like me who needs to figure out what questions to ask even before I start asking for answers!

My plan is for a more minimalist aquascape centered around a mixed reef tank with about 4-6 fish, some inverts, and mainly LPS and soft corals.

I've attached photos of the tank (as set up by the prior owner), currently in storage, and rinsing out the locally sourced pukani.

Here's the equipment I have so far:

IM SR-60 tank
IM 317gph return pumps upgraded to 2x Sicce Syrncras at 568gph (flow increased from 10x tank volume to ~20x)
Ecotech MP-10wQP powerhead (1,500gph)
Tunze 9004 protein skimmer
Various 100w-300w freebie heaters
70lbs mixed pukani and other dry rock
2x AI Prime HD lights
BRS 6 stage 75gpd RO/DI
Red Sea Coral Pro salt
refractometer
2 quarts Marinepure ceramic spheres
3/4" line loc extensions to redirect flow
40lbs pink fiji live sand

and to be done:
DIY stand for aquarium
55 gal barrel converted to RO/DI water reservoir
saltwater mixing station
dKH, phosphate, calcium testing supplies
Select livestock (likely a bonded pair of clowns, yellow tang, wrasse, goby, hermit crabs, snails, emerald crabs, feather duster)
Select corals (like hammers, torches, challice, leathers, zoanthids, trumpets, blastomussa)

I'm not sure about needing an aquarium controller just yet...I'd like to do it a bit more old school and get used to checking the tank's parameters before going to that next step. But, I'm happy to hear about any suggestions you all might have for this setup! Happy reefing!:D

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

rocks.jpg

OP
OP
Res_Ipsa

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW nice score on the filter socks lol! I change them one at a time alternately about every four days.
Thanks, @Krzydmnd! All socks courtesy of the prior owner. I'm debating pulling one out for the IM media rack to store the MarinePure spheres and a bag of carbon.

OP
OP
Res_Ipsa

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the support! Bits and pieces are still coming together. I just came home from a nighttime rendezvous with a stranger i met on Craigslist. I gave him $50 cash and rolled in this bad boy.:D

Wonder what’s going on here. ;Drool

967EEEC1-2CAF-4B01-A3E0-78FA032A8BB6.jpeg

OP
OP
Res_Ipsa

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Not pictured: 40lbs of pink fiji, heaters, and a bucket of Red Sea coral pro. Great deals and awesome giveaways. Well done, Valerie! @Bulk Reef Supply

OP
OP
Res_Ipsa

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI priming to get ready for the initial flush! Whoo hoo!

Pressure reading about 48psi :( I’ll see if it changes after the flush but it feels like it’s right on the edge of adequate.

E6BBD548-D11D-463D-8C69-EC781A6712E1.jpeg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations. They are great tanks, if you do a search on R2R, you will find a few really beautiful SR tanks.

Welcome to R2R and keep the updates coming.

OP
OP
Res_Ipsa

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the support! RODI is working great and leveled off at 50psi operating pressure. My TDS before DI is suprisingly low at 1, and 0 after.

Rocks are in a 15:1 solution of RODI:bleach with one of the stock IM return pumps to circulate. Plan is to let soak for about 10 days before a RODI + Prime dechlorinator cycle, then a RODI+soak with the heater.

Anything I’m missing?

E6708D0F-F620-4933-8370-B4B32E71D7DC.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the support! RODI is working great and leveled off at 50psi operating pressure. My TDS before DI is suprisingly low at 1, and 0 after.

Rocks are in a 15:1 solution of RODI:bleach with one of the stock IM return pumps to circulate. Plan is to let soak for about 10 days before a RODI + Prime dechlorinator cycle, then a RODI+soak with the heater.

Anything I’m missing?

Sounds good. No heater needed until you switch to saltwater.

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB7B58F5-5BC8-4A0E-98FD-FDFD1610148B.jpeg
95351B3D-C086-4B69-A18E-A97782C7ABB4.jpeg

Anything I’m missing?

Stupid question here...Why are you doing this? To get the rocks more white? I thought it’d be to try and speed up coraline algae growth but I don’t see that happening with bleach involved.

Obviously you know what you’re doing so I’m interested to learn what it’s all about. Sick tank and gear btw.
I have a 40 long with HOB’s, about 14 small coral, and 7 fish.

I’m looking to upgrade to an all in one since I want to keep it below the BR and don’t have room for a sump. I look forward to learning from y’all.

OP
OP
Res_Ipsa

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB7B58F5-5BC8-4A0E-98FD-FDFD1610148B.jpeg
95351B3D-C086-4B69-A18E-A97782C7ABB4.jpeg

Stupid question here...Why are you doing this? To get the rocks more white? I thought it’d be to try and speed up coraline algae growth but I don’t see that happening with bleach involved.

Obviously you know what you’re doing so I’m interested to learn what it’s all about. Sick tank and gear btw.
I have a 40 long with HOB’s, about 14 small coral, and 7 fish.

I’m looking to upgrade to an all in one since I want to keep it below the BR and don’t have room for a sump. I look forward to learning from y’all.

@JCRove06 - great looking tank integrated with the entertainment center! I dig it.

As for the rocks, I'm soaking them in bleach to get rid of any unknown and unwanted organics on the rocks since they came from unknown sources. One set of rocks was previously live rock in someone's tank and the pukani was bought from a craigslist guy who had them stored outdoors for a year or two (and came with a few roaches).

Having never done a tank before, I've got no personal experience other than what I've just started. But, it seems the consensus is to cure the rocks before putting them in your display tank so that they don't throw off a bunch of phosphates or ammonia from decomposing organics once they get into the main tank. BRS did a pretty good video on looking at the saltwater, bleach, and muriatic acid cures and for me bleach made the most sense.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back