IM120 All In One: Skimmer Recommendations

Jim_Envoi_Gula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, This is one of my first posts here on R2R. I've been an active member of other forms online for many years, but I had never gotten around to posting here!

I am going to be setting up an IM120 in about a month once my wife and I move into our new home. I have been sitting here staring at this thing driving myself nuts over what skimmer I am going to use on it. I am a huge fan of Nyos skimmers, but sadly that is just not an option for this build. I have called IM directly to check to see if the tank is drillable (it is on the bottom), but I just don't want to go that way if I don't absolutely need to. The back chamber isn't able to accommodate a skimmer like I would normally want to use, and I want to see what others who may own this setup already are doing. It feels wrong to me to have a HOB skimmer sitting on the back of this thing that is meant to look so "clean" by design. I currently run an IM40 SPS system that I was able to modify to fit an Aqua Medic EVO 500 skimmer in. That little thing runs like a champ! I'm just not sure that with a tank as large as the 120 that I'm going to be able to get away with a skimpy skimmer as this system is going to be SPS dominant as well. One thing that I know about myself in this hobby over the past 20 years is that I like fish too much to get away with no skimmer AND sticks! lol I haven't read very good reviews on the actual IM line of skimmers, and would likely not choose to go that route myself. I'm open to hearing what you guys are doing out there though! Thanks in advance! -Jim

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Jim have you thought about a Tunze brand skimmer?

OP
OP
Jim_Envoi_Gula

Jim_Envoi_Gula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually own the Comline DOC 9012 skimmer by them, but I got the thing used and I can't get it to work correctly. Seems like something is missing from it that is preventing it from working properly!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back