Imitation crab meat?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to an Asian supermarket and I bought a package of frozen wild caught seafood. It has clams, squid, etc. It also has crab meat. My wife says it looks like imitation crab meat, but I'm not sure. She doesn't think I should feed fish this. I'm going to chop it all up together to feed. My question is, if the crab is indeed imitation, would it harm the fish, providing it is going to be chopped up with the rest of the seafood, or should I should I just take it out?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe the imitation crab meat is white fish. There should be ingredients on the package and first listed being most provided. Don't see why feeding this to fish would be an issue although whole fresh clams perhaps a better food items since it contains more than just the meat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went to an Asian supermarket and I bought a package of frozen wild caught seafood. It has clams, squid, etc. It also has crab meat. My wife says it looks like imitation crab meat, but I'm not sure. She doesn't think I should feed fish this. I'm going to chop it all up together to feed. My question is, if the crab is indeed imitation, would it harm the fish, providing it is going to be chopped up with the rest of the seafood, or should I should I just take it out?
Agree likely whitefish and while it contains oils, its minimal

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe the imitation crab meat is white fish. There should be ingredients on the package and first listed being most provided. Don't see why feeding this to fish would be an issue although whole fresh clams perhaps a better food items since it contains more than just the meat.
It's packaged at the store, so it doesn't have an ingredients list, it just says "wild caught seafood mix" but it does have whole clams, etc, albeit frozen. I'm shaving the whole pieces down into a mix and then pressing it into a old cube tray for easy feeding

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two different things

Screenshot_20240130_121812_Chrome.jpg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a white fish for sure, but I would expect other ingredients than just fish - and if not printed on your packaging, it would be on the original package for it.

Personally, I probably wouldn't, but as said, it's unlikely that the ingredients used will harm anything as they are intended to be food and there are certainly non-seafood ingredients in other foods.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if it’s safe for human consumption that it is not going to harm your fishes. Still I would take it back to the store and see if they will give you your money back if they sold imitation crab (Krab) instead of real crab meat.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take it out.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i wouldnt eat it and i wouldnt feed it to my tank. its prosesed junked so its full of binders and fillers, maybe ok to eat but who knows about water quality. is it cooked?

serecheneric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a meat and seafood market, by law there is supposed to be a full ingredients label on the product even if it is made in house. Artificial crab meat is precooked and has a lot of fillers and ingredients not naturally found in a fishes diet, with that said it may be fine but it may not, my concern would also be water quality issues that may build up over time from the additives like the sugar so you would basically be uncontrollably carbon dosing. I would not chance it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back