Imitation crab meat?

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to an Asian supermarket and I bought a package of frozen wild caught seafood. It has clams, squid, etc. It also has crab meat. My wife says it looks like imitation crab meat, but I'm not sure. She doesn't think I should feed fish this. I'm going to chop it all up together to feed. My question is, if the crab is indeed imitation, would it harm the fish, providing it is going to be chopped up with the rest of the seafood, or should I should I just take it out?
I dont think that’s a good idea. There might be salt or preservatives in the imitation crab.

Larry_In_Missouri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying it is harmful, but I always thought the imitation crab was a reasonable substitute for the real thing ...for me. Then one day I looked at the nutritional content label and, wow!, the carbohydrates are literally out of this world. There is NO, once living animal tissue that has that level of carb. content, so additives and fillers must be immense.

dpd3672

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it will hurt them infrequently, and it would probably work as bulk protein, but they'd need more balance in their diet, long-term.

We used to have a McDonalds in my area with a large fish tank (Royal Oak, MI, if anyone's local and remembers it). I'm guessing it was 5,000 gallons or so. While I'm sure they had a service to maintain it, when it was busy in the dining room, they'd use the sprayer for washing dishes to thaw a Filet-o-Fish patty and remove the breading, then throw it in the tank (or sometimes, let kids do it) so the sharks would eat it.

Anecdotal, I know, but those sharks (and presumably, the other fish...I only remember the sharks because it was the '70s, and Jaws was dominating pop culture) were alive and healthy for quite a few years.

serecheneric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps in your decision!

Attachments

• 728405614.jpg
    728405614.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 728405623.jpg
    728405623.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 25

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to an Asian supermarket and I bought a package of frozen wild caught seafood. It has clams, squid, etc. It also has crab meat. My wife says it looks like imitation crab meat, but I'm not sure. She doesn't think I should feed fish this. I'm going to chop it all up together to feed. My question is, if the crab is indeed imitation, would it harm the fish, providing it is going to be chopped up with the rest of the seafood, or should I should I just take it out?
If it is Surimi, it is made of white fish mixed with starch ( saccharine), egg white, salt, vegetable oils, sorbitol, sugar, soy protein, spices and flavorings. Is is a good high protein food for humans. If it is good marine fish food, I do not think so, depending on the flavoring.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imitation anything is an unknown in long tun. It has fillers that fish don't eat in the wild. I( would say no, don' feed/ $0 years down the road it will be known that aertificial food kills and is not processed correctly for the body. This goes for humans too. Big business looking for profit wiil eventially make it even more harmful. make it cheaper and cheaper Don't believe thw hype and marketing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmmm. Sounds suspicious. This is why I don’t like to eat fish at restaurants. “Piped into rectangular molds.” Fish jello at the price of crab is ok for fish food but I would rather not eat it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s cooked, as I understand the Fish can’t process it. So no Nutritional value.
This is incorrect - for example - Dry food is 'cooked' and 'dried' and it has plenty of nutritional value.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - it's not going to hurt your fish - whether you use it or not. It is going to be such a small part of the total volume of the tank (whatever might be 'bad') it will not do anything IMHO

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes This hobby becomes over complicated because we make it so. There is no reason to be concerned about using a seafood mix that has imitation crab meat as it is still seafood based food. Move on please, I’ve been using imitation crabmeat in my seafood mix for decades and all is good. Let’s worry about things that matter and worthwhile. This is not one of them……

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't eat that in my house and I wouldn't give it to my fish. I don't know what that red dye is or those "additives". It doesn't taste like crab as it is a cheap "white" fish, whatever that is but I am pretty sure it is a trash fish that is probably not sold as it is because of either it's looks or taste.

I am sure it won't hurt your fish but why not give them real crabmeat?

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes This hobby becomes over complicated because we make it so. There is no reason to be concerned about using a seafood mix that has imitation crab meat as it is still seafood based food. Move on please, I’ve been using imitation crabmeat in my seafood mix for decades and all is good. Let’s worry about things that matter and worthwhile. This is not one of them……
I wonder what's less important: My question, or a paragraph almost as long on how unimportant it is.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what's less important: My question, or a paragraph almost as long on how unimportant it is.
Just trying to convince fellow hobbyist that there are some things not worth over thinking….whatever….

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imitation crabmeat has binder and flour in it. I would not feed it to your tank.
I always in the opinion that I feed human quality food to my tank, not fish food. However, I only feed unprocessed, wild caught sea food to my tank. I do not eat, at least try not to eat deformed, disease farm raised seafood if I can help it. I do not feed those to my tank. There plenty of food, and ingrediencies that we eat, that would cause a lot of problem for our tank, namely some of the preservatives.

I read that one of the shrimp farms in the US proud of the fact that they never change water since start the shrimp farm 10+ years ago. That is in the US, no telling what go into the water of these farms in less regulated country like Viet Nam, India and China.

Do you ever see live Talapia for sale at the Asian Market? About 1/2 of these fish are deformed with bended spines and crazy deformed fins. Like I said, these are USA products, not import from out of the country.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back