Impending border dispute

UnnamedReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2023
Messages
236
Reaction score
136
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, things in my tank are growing out and taking off so I'm starting to have corals fighting for room. My toadstool and chalice settled their differences (by the chalice stinging the toadstool and making me move it upwards) and now one of my zoas is quickly approaching one of my cyphastrea, who's growing nicely in its own regard. The cyphastrea is mostly closed in this photo but when extended the two nearly touch.

The cyphastrea can't really be moved, but I COULD move the zoas if I had to. I'd rather not, since they went from 5 polyps to 30+ in 6 months in this location. The zoas have 12 new polyps growing, several near the border. I'm aware zoas can emit palytoxin as a defense mechanism, but what would you expect from these two sharing a border? Should I prepare to move the zoas, or let it ride and let them figure it out?

Thanks!

Zoas.jpg
 
I let it ride. The Zoas can start overgrowing the Cyphastrea but neither of them really is an overly aggressive coral so they should play nice. My Zoas are growing right up next to my Blastos and neither is affected terribly.
 
That's good news, thanks! If the zoas start to grow over I could always frag them too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new