Importing Coral Help

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, im located in Florida. Im looking to importing some corals see if i can get a groove of it. Sell out of my house. Nothing crazy. Having a few questions if you guys could help me out someone that knows the process really well. What would be the name of the license needed for the importing of corals. Also would i need to have a registed LLC or company. Please and thank you guys!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, im located in Florida. Im looking to importing some corals see if i can get a groove of it. Sell out of my house. Nothing crazy. Having a few questions if you guys could help me out someone that knows the process really well. What would be the name of the license needed for the importing of corals. Also would i need to have a registed LLC or company. Please and thank you guys!
Neat idea!

Could you try cold calling some vendors with the hope that you might find someone with the time to answer your question? You might also look into state and federal websites for marine animal importing. I suspect the paperwork might daunting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poseidonreefs_

poseidonreefs_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat idea!

Could you try cold calling some vendors with the hope that you might find someone with the time to answer your question? You might also look into state and federal websites for marine animal importing. I suspect the paperwork might daunting.
Tried this already, many people dont like to help others out where im from. Theres tons of competition down here!

Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you ever figure out the legalities and get approved I have a friend in Bali who works for a coral and fish collection company as well as independently now I believe and he'd love to get some more business...he's actually sent me plenty of pictures of what they collect as well as the process involved (of course you'd have to work out the logistics as well)

Upvote 0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You generally need a wholesale license/seller’s permit (same thing), a business license, and an importers license the importers license being a must! These are pricey to obtain typically but state laws/fees vary. Not to mention the shipping/import costs typically fall between $200-$400+ per shipment. Of course it will vary by country but I’ve found shipping to be no less than $200 no matter who I contact. LCC, corp , etc. are all businesses just different types being public vs private entities and other types.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to be perfectly legal, you will need to collect sales tax and keep records for income tax purposes. Also, if shipping out of state you could possibly need to collect and remit sales taxes to those states.

Upvote 0

TheFragHouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you ever figure out the legalities and get approved I have a friend in Bali who works for a coral and fish collection company as well as independently now I believe and he'd love to get some more business...he's actually sent me plenty of pictures of what they collect as well as the process involved (of course you'd have to work out the logistics as well)
Do you still have this friend??

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back