Improved 2 Part Calcium and Alkalinity question

  • Thread starter Thread starter tbrown
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tbrown

Cronies #3?? Heathens' Coffee Snob???
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2019
Messages
83,460
Reaction score
229,889
Location
Peoria, AZ
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good day Randy! I was reading through your article on the DIY Improved 2 Part Calcium and Alkalinity dosing and I think I've got it but wanted to make sure:

On the dosing instructions I add 1 mL per gallon of actual total system water for my mixed reef tank. That's for both the calcium and alkalinity, correct? My tank and sump actual total water is approximately 70 gallons so I would add 70 mL calcium and 70 mL alkalinity daily, correct? Not 0.5 mL of each for a total of 1 mL?

Then, after 1 gallon of each has been dosed, add a 2.5 cups of the magnesium?

https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006...297 grams of baking,of alkalinity (2660 dKH).
 
Good day Randy! I was reading through your article on the DIY Improved 2 Part Calcium and Alkalinity dosing and I think I've got it but wanted to make sure:

On the dosing instructions I add 1 mL per gallon of actual total system water for my mixed reef tank. That's for both the calcium and alkalinity, correct? My tank and sump actual total water is approximately 70 gallons so I would add 70 mL calcium and 70 mL alkalinity daily, correct? Not 0.5 mL of each for a total of 1 mL?

Then, after 1 gallon of each has been dosed, add a 2.5 cups of the magnesium?

https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006...297 grams of baking,of alkalinity (2660 dKH).

The final sentence is correct, but spreading it out over the time period where the 1 gallon is used is better. Also, an improved recipe using Balling Part C instead of most of that mag part is even better.
 
The final sentence is correct, but spreading it out over the time period where the 1 gallon is used is better. Also, an improved recipe using Balling Part C instead of most of that mag part is even better.
The dose of the alk and calcium parts should be gauged by alk demand. :)
Sounds good, thanks! I have 3 dosing heads available so I can definitely make it work. Half hour apart per each is recommended still?
 
I have several pounds of magnesium flake and Epsom salts but I'll definitely look into the balling.
 
Sounds good, thanks! I have 3 dosing heads available so I can definitely make it work. Half hour apart per each is recommended still?

That’s a fine plan, yes. Even a few min is fine in most cases.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new