Improvised mantis tank.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to keep a mantis shrimp that came in as a hitchicker. He has just been chilling in a makeshift QT setup right now but I want to give him a real home. My plan is to convert an old freshwater system. It is 25-30 gal has a hob filter and sponge setup. I'm obviously getting new filter media. There is a standard compact florescent bulb.

So my thoughts:
Basic setup:
A mixture of this
f8ab2cff1d890e893049ea59e3070eb9.jpg

Plus some live substrate from my tank.

His home which is a small chunk of LR. Along with some old rock I have and PVC tubes.

Play mates would initially include a few hermits and emerald crabs just to tidy things up.

All advice is appreciated, this is my first mantis. Given the light bio load I don't think cycling will be an issue. I can seed bacteria and use more live rock if needed. If I don't add micros or coral a light upgrade shouldn't be need also correct?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the old FW tank didn't have copper or meds used in it. Stomatopods are very sensitive to copper. If you're not growing anything you won't need a grow light but I never could stand not having some coral or macro in my mantis tanks.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. I will check copper lvls and use a tester invert to be safe. I don't recall ever using it but it is an old tank. I may upgrade the light when I have extra cash, I like the idea of sprucing the tank up.

Zoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cute! ive got a very smart one in my display tank, if i could get him out i would! :)

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea id keep the setup as simple as possible with lighting cause too much light can eventually hurt them, so keep the light kinda low for soft corals. The clean up crew you have will not last very long lol he will eventually kill and eat them once he realizes they are food. You will have fun keeping mantis they are a favorite of mine and i will always keep one.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea id keep the setup as simple as possible with lighting cause too much light can eventually hurt them, so keep the light kinda low for soft corals. The clean up crew you have will not last very long lol he will eventually kill and eat them once he realizes they are food. You will have fun keeping mantis they are a favorite of mine and i will always keep one.
I'm used to the disappearing cuc. Years ago I had a tank with a lunar wrasse... right now most of the crabs are much larger than "him" so it will be some time. Anyone know of a good reference for sexing and figuring out the species? I've got it narrowed down thanks to region.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea id keep the setup as simple as possible with lighting cause too much light can eventually hurt them, so keep the light kinda low for soft corals.

Depends on the species really. Some come from shallow reef areas and are fine in bright reef light. There are some species that will get shell rot under bright reef light but not usually the hitchhikers that come in on live rock.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was thinking about Odontodactylus scyllarus. should have rephrased that lol. Peacocks are the only I usually keep

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am waiting for the tank to clear a bit. Adding sand made it cloudy. I soaked the tank in ro to remove any contaminates. Then ran saltwater with a poly pad for a few days. No color changes so I'm feeling comfortable that the tank is invert safe. I have a few hermits in there now. They are not acting strange. Once the water is cleared I will add the live rock and move the rest of live stock.

Current plans:
Mantis shrimp
Several hermits
Couple ruby crabs
Pencil urchins
* the mantis is trained on prepared food but I know he may kill his fellow invert tank mates. They are being added for his own enrichment.

I am going back and forth with the idea of adding a small fish later on once the tank matures. Any comments on that or other possible tankmates? As long as they cant kill the mantis or my wallet I don't mind giving him some prey to play with.

Also anything else the mantis may enjoy in his tank? Do they use shells or such to decorate like some pistol shrimp?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the smashers will decorate with whatever you put in there. My peacock had a lovely shell door that he would swing open. I put a little leather frag in there one time and the next thing I know, he's trying to fit it in his cave. It was cute. I routinely put rubble and shells in there for him to "play" with. I found my spearerers did more digging than decorating.

Have we figured out what kind of mantis it is?

I kept a longspine urchin with a Chiragra for about a year. I was surprised it lasted that long, because Chiragras are very strong and grumpy. I also had a huge turbo snail in there. I don't remember the mantis getting at him.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on his species. Just put him in his tank. It was rushed because I needed the qt for survivors from my other tank. He dug out a tunnel under one rock and is excavating a cave in the other. Seems happy. I will be setting up the actual rock scape when I have time.

I know he is usually blue/green but turned a redish brown after a molt once. He has blue spots on his clubs and is from the gulf. Once he settled in will try to get a good picture.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after searching pics I think it might be Neogonodactylus curacaoensis

Of course given the various colors of mantis shrimps if anyone knows how to ID for certain I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky this guy will snatch frozen from tongs. I also figured on adding grass shrimp, hermits and small cerths as live foods.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54e1a89dfefcfa6bf8f6739c1454e770.jpg

cfdf5c6c85bda2ff8bc8c89fc143167d.jpg

Got a bit of the typical new tank brown algea. Plan to clean it up and play around with the rocks tomorrow!

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is overdue but here is his tank

2762a98370bd3f90829b464c94abd1d8.jpg

I'm trying a few palys. Probably going to need to change the light.

Mantis
509a2e57f535df281923d50c30a1be72.jpg

Crabs

5b1877681c370caa3f046a01720fe91c.jpg

Hiding hermits

c75abdd5ff0fe34ca3c71b2a7a085495.jpg

Hiding again- not sure of urchin

eff3c0f46cdc43ec99b47d112ce50d7e.jpg

642a28d62aa04a0d4b1b8871550bab77.jpg

Going to have to get more snails... they are his favorite.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back