Improvised mantis tank.

Zoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww thats perfect! so glad to see people giving them a home instead of flushing them! Best mantis set up ive seen, well done :D

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the first time ever I have baby crabs that survived their first night! Don't know what they eat and I think they are starving but hey not eaten is a step up!

1f4456ed09ca132bf77a28c3feb5d4b1.jpg

P.s. added phytoplankton. Don't know if it will help them any but it is all I have handy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantis is settled in now. He is making caves in and under all the rocks. I'll upload a short video later. I found a "baby" picture of when I pulled him from the tank. I am amazed by how much they change colors.

Out of ocean

A few months in qt.

76bb389667bfd691416a8326c3fe5c74.jpg

Hopefully I can get a full shot of him in his new tank soon

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build a PVC tunnel system for them and they will stay there without rearanging to much. Mine stays put for a few months now

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Neogonodactylus wennerae? I believe those are more common. Where did the rock come from
Gulf coast. I think you may be right. As he is growing he is getting bands on his arms that seem to match wennerae. I just know nothing about how to a confirmed id.

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf coast. I think you may be right. As he is growing he is getting bands on his arms that seem to match wennerae. I just know nothing about how to a confirmed id.

He's an active little guy! I'm not an expert by any means, just a Stomatopods enthusiat with some experience. I use Roy's list: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/
I actually had a n.wnnerae for a while a couple years ago but had to give him away because I moved. Appreciate you giving your hitch hiker a home! :)

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all three shrimp are alive. The peppermint has failed to take care of my apstasia problem. It may be the wrong type of shrimp or he is just in too much fear for his life. Ironically the mantis is also afraid of the other shrimps. Need a new plan...

wranodj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that came in on TB Live Rock in my QT. I get a shrimp from the super market, when the counter guy stops laughing, and then put in a piece every couple of days. So far, just bare bottom with pic and live rock. These guys can really move.

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like a N. Wennerae to me as well. Good mantis, has no problem with strong lighting. You might have some luck with a fish if you feed the mantis well, especially if it's quick and spends it's time in the water column. Just don't put in something you'd hate to lose :)

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like a N. Wennerae to me as well. Good mantis, has no problem with strong lighting. You might have some luck with a fish if you feed the mantis well, especially if it's quick and spends it's time in the water column. Just don't put in something you'd hate to lose :)
Good I will likely get a light that handles soft corals to spruce things up then. He is very docile. Leaves everything but snails alone. I feed him chunks of krill or squid every other day. I hope that is enough.

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good I will likely get a light that handles soft corals to spruce things up then. He is very docile. Leaves everything but snails alone. I feed him chunks of krill or squid every other day. I hope that is enough.

Once every 2-3 days is a good schedule. Don't rely too much on krill, and I'd recommend soaking the food in selcon once a week. That seems to help make molting a little smoother for them.

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all three shrimp are alive. The peppermint has failed to take care of my apstasia problem. It may be the wrong type of shrimp or he is just in too much fear for his life. Ironically the mantis is also afraid of the other shrimps. Need a new plan...
You could always try some neudibranchs, I doubt the Maris shrimp wants something posinious

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back