OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mantis has been in hiding for two days. I hope he is just shedding. Nothing else seems off. Did a normal waterchange. The film algea is coming back now that the snails are gone. Hopefully I can get a breeding population going in my other tanks.

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mantis has been in hiding for two days. I hope he is just shedding. Nothing else seems off. Did a normal waterchange. The film algea is coming back now that the snails are gone. Hopefully I can get a breeding population going in my other tanks.
By the way, cleaner shrimp (to my understanding) shouldn't be afraid of anything. At least in the wild other creatures don't eat it because it helps clean them off.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mantis shrimp is alive but acting very shy again. He won't even peak out of the hole he is in. I dropped a snail right in front and he went even further in.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be active if he really is an n.wennerae. Could be adjusting after the shed, that is a very succeptible time for them.
He was very active once he settled in. Took a few days. He was digging tunnels and carving out spaces in rocks. Then he just stopped coming out. I think it has been about four days. He stays in his main rock. I can see him moving around if I shine I light in. He also stopped hammering the rock. He is my first mantis so I might be over reacting. Just new to their behavior patterns. Do they eat a molt or should I be able to find one if he did in fact shed?

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be pretty active right before a molt, I'm sure he's fine just let him be for now. They will eat or bury part of the molt but most of it they will eject from the burrow or even use it for part of the structure lol

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he did molt it's common for them to become reclusive until they harden. If they hit something with their still soft rapts they could cripple themselves until the next molt. I wouldn't worry about it.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back