In tank 'constant level chamber'

Marinefish2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze 9004 protein skimmer in my display tank (run a canister filter).
The issue I face is that this skimmer appears very sensitive to water level which I could use an ato but my water surface has alot of movement to keep tank oxygenated and pH on track, not sure an ato would be very effective with the waves.

Is there some sort of housing I can build for the skimmer to allow a calm and constant water level to give more effective skimming? I can build a simple housing but no idea how to go about making the water level inside independent from the water level in the tank? Is this possible? Or is there a better solution?

I know sumps can have a chamber where the water level is independent and adjustable.. But I don't have a sump

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you’d build a container per your question.. but the best bet is a sump, which honestly is what you described. Maybe someone else here has the same problem you do and found a fix?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build a little acrylic tube around it, that goes above the water line like an inch and like 3 below. that would solve the wave issue. But you would either need to to of manually more frequently or get an Ato to keep it constant.

OP
OP
M

Marinefish2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build a little acrylic tube around it, that goes above the water line like an inch and like 3 below. that would solve the wave issue. But you would either need to to of manually more frequently or get an Ato to keep it constant.
This will be my solution, will build this weekend and purchase an ato. Thanks. Somehow I never thought to simply eliminate the waves just in that corner section at the surface.
I was racking my brain thinking how I would've made an entire chamber going down into the tank.
I will build an acrylic perimeter around the skimmer with enough room for the ato to fit beside the skimmer. The acrylic will be 1-2 inches both above and below the surface

OP
OP
M

Marinefish2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you’d build a container per your question.. but the best bet is a sump, which honestly is what you described. Maybe someone else here has the same problem you do and found a fix?
A sump is something I really want to do to my tank but space in my cabinet is limited by divisions (cabinet is divided into 3 cupboards). It was more made for freshwater I think. Although I've never had issues with my canister. I just like the idea of all equipment hidden underneath, and the speed of changing a filter sock in comparison to cleaning my filter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113_105219_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113_105219_com.android.chrome.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 30

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump is something I really want to do to my tank but space in my cabinet is limited by divisions (cabinet is divided into 3 cupboards). It was more made for freshwater I think. Although I've never had issues with my canister. I just like the idea of all equipment hidden underneath, and the speed of changing a filter sock in comparison to cleaning my filter.
Ive done both. Sump is WAAAAAY better. What if you pull the stand out, could you temporarily remove the back pannel, put in your sump and replace it? Itd take some doing, but moght be possible.

OP
OP
M

Marinefish2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done both. Sump is WAAAAAY better. What if you pull the stand out, could you temporarily remove the back pannel, put in your sump and replace it? Itd take some doing, but moght be possible.
My cabinet would require a major rebuild to take a sump. It's split into 3 cupboards. The middle one I'm pretty sure is supporting alot of the weight so I wouldn't like to try to remove it.

Attachments

• juwel-vision-180-cabinet-73754-en.jpg
    juwel-vision-180-cabinet-73754-en.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 20

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cabinet would require a major rebuild to take a sump. It's split into 3 cupboards. The middle one I'm pretty sure is supporting alot of the weight so I wouldn't like to try to remove it.
Shoot! I wouldn't take that out either. Well, if you do decide it is worth the hastle, building as stand is kinda fun...

OP
OP
M

Marinefish2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked. Not the best looking at the moment but do plan to get a sump and modify my cabinet in the coming months. The skimmer runs a bit better now, I'm doing manual top ups currently but is easier to keep to the right level with the calm water in that section. An ato is on its way though.
IMG_20210119_075705.jpg
IMG_20210119_075732.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked. Not the best looking at the moment but do plan to get a sump and modify my cabinet in the coming months. The skimmer runs a bit better now, I'm doing manual top ups currently but is easier to keep to the right level with the calm water in that section. An ato is on its way though.
IMG_20210119_075705.jpg
IMG_20210119_075732.jpg
Sweet! glad it works! how big are the sections under the stand? I was just thinking maybe not able to have a big sump, but you could make a small one and get your heater and skimmer down there. make it 2 chambers, one for inlet, equipment, filter socks, etc. the other for the return pump and where your evaporation will come out of so everything else stays the same level. maybe big enough for like a 2.5 or 5 gallon aqueon el cheepo tank from petco maybe would almost be enough to work, as long as it was deep enough for the skimmer. Or maybe 2 tanks, drilled with a bulkhead connecting them between the sections... dunno. just brainstorming.

Back