IN THE BEGINNING......

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group right now.
I'm setting up our marine tank over the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Our last saltwater tank was in the early 1990's. Yes, in other words, "the dark age" of home marine tanks. I don't even remember shops selling ANY coral back then. We had a 75 gallon tank, archaic lighting, dolomite gravel bed, sea plundered dead corals and no one was raising tank bred anything. Instant Ocean had just started attempting to tank breed clowns. After a few years, loads of cash and many losses.... well , you get picture.
FLASH FORWARD
We purchased a Coralife 29/32 system and stand. Instant Ocean Reef salt mix, Caribsea live sand, 40 lbs of dry, live rocks (though how it can be dry AND live mystifies me), a heater, refractometer, wavemaker, test kit etc etc. I'll pick up the RODI water Weds or Fri.
I want some other things like a protein skimmer, but my husband is already suffering from sticker shock
I'm not worrying about the fish or soft corals yet, but have some ideas rolling around in my head.
I'll take photos as I go along. And I'll be asking questions. LOTS OF QUESTIONS !

Baby steps ‍♀️
Faith H.

imagine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group right now.
I'm setting up our marine tank over the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Our last saltwater tank was in the early 1990's. Yes, in other words, "the dark age" of home marine tanks. I don't even remember shops selling ANY coral back then. We had a 75 gallon tank, archaic lighting, dolomite gravel bed, sea plundered dead corals and no one was raising tank bred anything. Instant Ocean had just started attempting to tank breed clowns. After a few years, loads of cash and many losses.... well , you get picture.
FLASH FORWARD
We purchased a Coralife 29/32 system and stand. Instant Ocean Reef salt mix, Caribsea live sand, 40 lbs of dry, live rocks (though how it can be dry AND live mystifies me), a heater, refractometer, wavemaker, test kit etc etc. I'll pick up the RODI water Weds or Fri.
I want some other things like a protein skimmer, but my husband is already suffering from sticker shock
I'm not worrying about the fish or soft corals yet, but have some ideas rolling around in my head.
I'll take photos as I go along. And I'll be asking questions. LOTS OF QUESTIONS !

Baby steps ‍♀️
Faith H.
Wait till after your tank has done it’s full nitrogen cycle completed and be sure to take air for 6-8 weeks if you can stand it before adding any fish or walk ally add after fish corals. Because set rock leaches out into your saltwater phosphate, nitrogen, ammonia and a lot of other undesirable things like nitrite and others.

feel free to reach out if you have questions

I recommend
algaebarn.com
YouTube series EP 1 & 2 how to cycle your aquarium and study the nitrogen cycle plus dry rock syndrome I recommend using BRT tv intestigates also found on you tube.
During cycling test water parameters daily.

Back