Inconsistent readings with Hanna Phosphorus ULR

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank (240 gallons, 350 gallon system), that I'm dosing phosphate to. To get the dosing dialed in, I've been monitoring phosphate daily with the Hanna Phosphorus ULR checker. After several days of unexpected results, I decided to try to see if the results I was getting were repeatable. They are not. For example, yesterday I repeated a test three times, and got phosphorus readings of 50, 68, and 105 (corresponding to phosphate readings of .15, .21, and .32). With this level of inconsistency, it's tough to accomplish what I'm trying to do! Here's my process:

* Before and after each reading, I half fill the vial with aquarium water, put the cap on, shake vigorously, and dump it out.
* I fill the vial using a graduated syringe, so more accurate than trying to eyeball the line on the Hanna vials.
* I use a magnetic stirrer to stir the vial for 3 minutes. (And I put the stirrer in the vial when I rinse it.) (And I use the stirrer only for this checker.)
* I am careful to get all the powder into the vial, and I don't touch the inside of the envelope.
* I carefully wipe the vial with a paper towel.
* I even line up the vial the same way when I put it into the checker.

Today I tried something different. I first filled a vial with aquarium water, and put it in the checker for the "C1 test". I then used a different vial for the testing solution. I repeated this 4 times, using the same vial for the C1 test, and using the same vial for the C2 test without remixing more reagent. Before each C2 test I stirred the vial for a minute, in case there had been any precipitation. So the results should be the exact same each time, right? No! I got readings of 60, 76, 0, and 0. So why would it go down to 0? Does the solution turn back to clear after time? If so, then it seems like the timing of how you run the test would be critical, even though the instructions are pretty vague about that. And if that were true, why would the second reading be higher?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe I have a bad checker?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you didn’t grab one of the vials that you used for the c1 check (non reagent water) on mistake? I test a similar way and have confused the vials since both look clear. I think that is the only way to get a 0 reading after a reading of 60 ish.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you didn’t grab one of the vials that you used for the c1 check (non reagent water) on mistake? I test a similar way and have confused the vials since both look clear. I think that is the only way to get a 0 reading after a reading of 60 ish.
Yes, positive. I did it twice. Plus, the C2 vial had a stirrer bar in it, the C1 vial did not.

Admonition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re doing it right. Might be worth picking up their reagent Standard to confirm if your checker is malfunctioning against a known standard. I think they’re like $10? I have a set for each of my Hanna checkers for moments like this

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll do that. I guess I’ll also go ahead and get another checker too. It seems like there’s a good chance that mine is bad, if that’s even a thing.

Admonition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your call if you wanna hedge your bet and pickup another checker (just make sure your LFS allows returns in case the reagent Standards show your original one is within range). Good luck and let us know how it turns out

e3pillereefer

Longs Peak Summit
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same. I sometimes test 3 times bc the first two go from 0 (or inu) to 2 or 3. Having a really hard time figuring out if this thing works correctly and what my phosphate level really is...smh!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same. I sometimes test 3 times bc the first two go from 0 (or inu) to 2 or 3. Having a really hard time figuring out if this thing works correctly and what my phosphate level really is...smh!

What units are you talking about? 2 or 3 ppb P?

That's well within the expected error of the device per than manufacturer claims.

Accuracy @ 25°C/77°F±5 ppb ±5% of reading

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back