Incredibly frustrated with my Tunze 3155

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm simply at a loss and can not get my Osmalator to settle into my tank.

I have an IM 14 peninsula tank that I use for coral and invert QT. Nothing crazy, just a Kessil A80 for light, neotherm heater, and MJ1200 for circulation. ( 2 stock IM pumps have failed)

The Tunze has "failed" 4 times, 3 of which saved my floors thanks to the high water sensor. One time it managed to dump roughly 4 gallons onto the floor.

The optical sensor keeps failing its the only thing I can imagine is happening. I wrote Tunze about this a month or so ago (when it failed for the first time) and they said it was highly unlikely. I do not know what else it can be.

I have removed all filter media in case that was causing an inconsistency in water level, the tank is down to the bare mechanics and it failed again last night. I do not know what to do or whats wrong.

I have turned the pump power all the way down to nano and with 2 feet of head pressure its not a lot of water that pumps out at once. I'm just at a loss of how to fix this issue.

IMG-4709.JPG

Pictures of my set up below in case anyone has suggestions:

IMG-4701.JPG
IMG-4707.JPG

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had inconsistencies with water levels and also thought it was the full proof tunze 3155, then I found my problem. It was siphoning and would only stop after dripping roughly 4 gals of my 10 gal ATO tank. You would be surprised how quick a drip can dump 4 gals of water. I put a loop in the tubing as it entered my sump and that worked, haven't had an issue since. Hopefully you get this issue taken care of.

The siphoning would only happen when I filled up my ATO tank with 10 gals of water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had inconsistencies with water levels and also thought it was the full proof tunze 3155, then I found my problem. It was siphoning and would only stop after dripping roughly 4 gals of my 10 gal ATO tank. You would be surprised how quick a drip can dump 4 gals of water. I put a loop in the tubing as it entered my sump and that worked, haven't had an issue since. Hopefully you get this issue taken care of.

The siphoning would only happen when I filled up my ATO tank with 10 gals of water.

Yup I have experienced this before as well. I have two other tanks in the house, and on my main display if I fill my ATO container all thew way up about 2 gallons will siphon out. So I can only fill my 5 gallon container up to the 3 gallon mark.

This is not the case however with the Tunze. The ATO bucket sits completely under the tank.

I appreciate the feedback though.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell by your pictures, but do you have a siphon break for the ATO line pumping water from your reservoir back into your tank?

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell by your pictures, but do you have a siphon break for the ATO line pumping water from your reservoir back into your tank?

The reservoir is about 2 feet under the tank, the head pressure would be enough to assure no siphoning would take place. I assume.

ato.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO fill tube entering the rear chamber of your AIO isn’t submerged, is it? Regardless of the 2 foot drop to your ATO reservoir, if the fill tube going up to your tank is submerged, it will siphon.

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive never had any issues with my Tunze ATO. My 5 gallon ATO container sits below my display and the drip line runs up the back of my tank and drains into my overflow. If your drip line is level or below your ATO water level, the RO water can keep siphoning from the ATO even after the pump turns off.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO fill tube entering the rear chamber of your AIO isn’t submerged, is it? Regardless of the 2 foot drop to your ATO reservoir, if the fill tube going up to your tank is submerged, it will siphon.

Ive never had any issues with my Tunze ATO. My 5 gallon ATO container sits below my display and the drip line runs up the back of my tank and drains into my overflow. If your drip line is level or below your ATO water level, the RO water can keep siphoning from the ATO even after the pump turns off.

I see what you're saying, very valid point. The fill tube / drip line is elevated about 2 inches above normal water line. Its the black tube in the photos

IMG-4707.JPG
IMG-4701.JPG
ato.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to troubleshoot... so thinking out loud here. It looks like you’re using the remote magnet for the backup float as opposed to having both the optical eye and the backup float on the same magnet. Do you have a picture of the optical eye in the back chamber? Are any of the wires back there interfering with the movement of the backup float?

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure I would have the drip line so close to the sensor. can you run the drip line into a separate compartment?

My issue with this is the further away from the return chamber the longer it will take to flow through, which means the pump returning water will be on even longer.

Just trying to troubleshoot... so thinking out loud here. It looks like you’re using the remote magnet for the backup float as opposed to having both the optical eye and the backup float on the same magnet. Do you have a picture of the optical eye in the back chamber? Are any of the wires back there interfering with the movement of the backup float?

Someone on the #AskBRS facebook group suggested the two magnets could be causing electrical interference. So just a couple minutes ago I wired them both together and rearranged some of the wires. Here is how it exists as of 5 mins ago.

new.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the water stream from you refill line is hitting the float actually causing it to remain in the down position as water continues to fill. Move your refill line away from the float. My tank mostly refills in the evening before lights off as the float sensor just happens to reach the refill level at that time.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the water stream from you refill line is hitting the float actually causing it to remain in the down position as water continues to fill. Move your refill line away from the float. My tank mostly refills in the evening before lights off as the float sensor just happens to reach the refill level at that time.

I'll admit it does look like that, but the flow is so light since the pump is turned down to nano it just drops straight in and not a powerful enough stream to reach the sensor.

EDIT: This is the new magnet placement, and until just now the water has not been streaming down the optical sensor cord. I am repositioning it now.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied earlier this morning to your BRS facebook post.

In general, I would recommend the Nano Osmolator for a tank this small. The Osmolator is made for larger tanks and can be hard to tune to such a small volume due to the timed overfills and faster pumping rate. I would change these three things to make it work.

1) Reposition the hose away from the sensors, you could route it to the main tank for that matter. The incoming flow of water adds bubbles and can be a source of problem.

2) On a tank this small we want to have the pump speed set to Nano and add a valve to the end of the hose to further reduce the flow.

3) I would have both sensors on the same magnet, the float switch is a magnetic switch, a magnet closer than 4" can pin the float so it cannot operate, they need to be much further apart, but it is honestly safer to have both on the same magnet.

I can rule out a siphon. Regarding this happening at night, the optic sensor uses infrared light, it is not affected by light or dark in anyway. We have tested this backwards and forwards and the only lighting that can cause interference is red LED's with some infrared spectrum, especially grow lights, and very high power HQI lights, generally 400W in close proximity or 1000W with a greater distance.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand on how the sensor works, it only detects air vs water, it makes no differentiation between a bubble and being dry, it is very important that where it is positioned there are no major sources of bubbles or splash.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied earlier this morning to your BRS facebook post.

In general, I would recommend the Nano Osmolator for a tank this small. The Osmolator is made for larger tanks and can be hard to tune to such a small volume due to the timed overfills and faster pumping rate. I would change these three things to make it work.

1) Reposition the hose away from the sensors, you could route it to the main tank for that matter. The incoming flow of water adds bubbles and can be a source of problem.

2) On a tank this small we want to have the pump speed set to Nano and add a valve to the end of the hose to further reduce the flow.

3) I would have both sensors on the same magnet, the float switch is a magnetic switch, a magnet closer than 4" can pin the float so it cannot operate, they need to be much further apart, but it is honestly safer to have both on the same magnet.

I can rule out a siphon. Regarding this happening at night, the optic sensor uses infrared light, it is not affected by light or dark in anyway. We have tested this backwards and forwards and the only lighting that can cause interference is red LED's with some infrared spectrum, especially grow lights, and very high power HQI lights, generally 400W in close proximity or 1000W with a greater distance.

@rvitko I appreciate the secondary follow up.

-the TLF's micro valve has been ordered.

-The sensors have been moved to the same magnet.

-Kind of SoL this is the ATO i have for the time being until one of my display tanks ATO's bites the dust and I move this one over. (Currently have an ATK and another 3155 on my two tanks, both of which work perfectly well)

- Great information on the infrared light sensor.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will get it to work and it is a better ATO, but it just needs some tweaking. BTW, all my contact info, email, phone number is on the cover of the Warranty for US manual, if you need more help anytime, just call or email. I often have to return calls, but I will return a call I miss.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hose has been diverted away from optical sensor, both sensors are on same magnet, and no cords are touching the sensor.

Fingers crossed this works. Thank you everyone for the feedback. Will report performance.

new2.jpg

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back