Incredibly frustrated with my Tunze 3155

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?
Yup, I bought an XP Aqua ATO.

I can’t remember all I covered in this thread but after speaking to Tunze directly they states the 3155 is not made for tanks under roughly 50 gallons I believe is the cut off they stated. Even with adjusting the internal controller AND adding the needle valve they suggested.

the issue ended up being driven by the filter floss I was using, on top of that the inconsistent flow caused by the return pump.

the best solution I found was to use no floss or a very small piece that allows flow around it, and to separate the magnet/float away from the optical sensor.

I would not advise this ATO for any nano tank, or any AIO tank that uses a single overflow.

as a side note the Aqua XP has never had a single issue and uses a duel optical sensor.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?

I can’t remember all I covered in this thread but after speaking to Tunze directly they states the 3155 is not made for tanks under roughly 50 gallons I believe is the cut off they stated. Even with adjusting the internal controller AND adding the needle valve they suggested.

the issue ended up being driven by the filter floss I was using, on top of that the inconsistent flow caused by the return pump.

the best solution I found was to use no floss or a very small piece that allows flow around it, and to separate the magnet/float away from the optical sensor.

I would not advise this ATO for any nano tank, or any AIO tank that uses a single overflow.

as a side note the Aqua XP has never had a single issue and uses a duel optical sensor.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Tunze nano, and to be honest it’s not any better, I woke this morning to 3 litres of water dumped into my tank, feel it has something to do with the magnet.
The cut off for this nano ato is 1.40 mins which is ridiculous for a nano, and the 5 seconds over fill that was talked about in your thread is daft too, as a normal water fill should be less than 5 seconds anyway.

Found your thread because I was looking for a way to attach the float switch without the magnet but like you I’ll just buy a different ato!

Thanks.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I have the Tunze nano, and to be honest it’s not any better, I woke this morning to 3 litres of water dumped into my tank, feel it has something to do with the magnet.
The cut off for this nano ato is 1.40 mins which is ridiculous for a nano, and the 5 seconds over fill that was talked about in your thread is daft too, as a normal water fill should be less than 5 seconds anyway.

Found your thread because I was looking for a way to attach the float switch without the magnet but like you I’ll just buy a different ato!

Thanks.

Yessir! For Nanos I think there are better options, but the 3155/52 are great at other tasks, and I use one on my 200 gallon system without issue. But a 14 or smaller it’s just not the right tool.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not discounting anyone’s sxperiences, but I ran a Tunze 3155 in the rear return pump chamber of my Biocube 29 for years. It ran flawlessly without issue, so using it in a nano tank can certainly be done.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry you had issues with yours.

I have been using a 7 year old Tunze 3155 from my old 90 gallon system on a IM Nuvo Fusion 20 for the last year with 0 issues. All I did was tune the dial to nano.

I bought 2 more 3155’s, one for my 300 gallon system and the other for a new IM Nuvo Fusion 10.

The 3155 is tried and true and proved itself over many years.

I wouldn’t use any other ATO, ever.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back