Indifferent on anemones

Team-Nano-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby for awhile I’ve had the same tank for 8 years. Started fresh after a crash about 2 years ago everything in my tank is flourishing and looking beautiful. My nem however has gone from a nice purple and green with pink tips to a drab all around gum purple. It’s happy and full but Not colorful anymore I know it’s noob question but I’m new to the forum.. what’s your ideas on its changed? Left is when I got it right is a year later.

29043EAF-9298-4B53-BF66-9D707A36C190.png FBBB2679-3054-44E1-8DAA-96503C6EE053.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any color change is most likely due to differences in lighting.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not to say that it's a bad thing. The nem looks very healthy in both photos. I'd guess lighting as well.

In most cases, you actually want your anemone to have a brown undertone, because that means that there is a healthy zooxanthellae population that's helping to keep the anemone alive.

Many times when an anemone is first imported or arrives at the LFS, the zoox population dies off and the nem become partially bleached. In this state, the colors of the nem are sometimes more vibrant.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps to buy aquaculture nems as they keep the color you see even a year down the road, Nems can handle a decent amount of light and a lot of the times prefer it.

OP
OP
T

Team-Nano-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps to buy aquaculture nems as they keep the color you see even a year down the road, Nems can handle a decent amount of light and a lot of the times prefer it.
Good to know. It was a craigslist buy so it’s a split of a split the main anemone it came from was amazing I wish this was an colorful but to be expected.

OP
OP
T

Team-Nano-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not to say that it's a bad thing. The nem looks very healthy in both photos. I'd guess lighting as well.

In most cases, you actually want your anemone to have a brown undertone, because that means that there is a healthy zooxanthellae population that's helping to keep the anemone alive.

Many times when an anemone is first imported or arrives at the LFS, the zoox population dies off and the nem become partially bleached. In this state, the colors of the nem are sometimes more vibrant.
I have heard of the brown undertones being good. Should just be happy with what I got cause it’s happy and healthy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back