Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just read on Koji Wada's facebook page that Indo has banned fish exports since the 6th of December similar paperwork situation with Corals.

You're going to stop until the fish next time?
The export fish export from Indonesia has stopped from the 6th. I hear it's a glitch that occurred in the exchange of health certificate and customs computer system issued by the Marine Fisheries Bureau, but is it true? The Minister of susi has a rumor that he wants to put a cites on the ornamental fish. This would be a huge mess if you stopped until the fish, right? You know, because there are people who are smuggling fish and false coral, aren't they? In any case, it's trouble. Let's hope it's just a system disorder!

I have not heard that either but very possible. If so this hobby is really going to hurt with the Hawaii ban especially once all permits expire in Hawaii.
I predicted fish would not be far behind in Indonesia. This would be the final straw for wholesalers there.
I predict those that want us closed down are feeling pretty good now with Hawaii, Fiji and Indonesia wins. I will bet by the end of 2019 Australia is done too.
I just do not get why this hobby can not get together. All the manufacturers, wholesalers, forums, retailers etc out there. By the end of next year I think prices will be high and some manufacturers will start to disappear.
Even places that farm coral like World Wide corals, Cherry corals (just using names not picking one anyone) should be helping instead of rejoicing. With out fish this hobby will shrink and less coral is going to be sold. Also in no time they will turn and try to close them down once the wild stuff is gone.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Dave, I've been following this thread for any news I may have missed. We are certainly not rejoicing the loss of diversity in the selection of corals we sell. We hope at the very least the mariculture side of the business returns to Indonesia. At this point it does look pretty bleak:

Wednesday, Dec 05 2018 17:58 WIB
Report from Monaco
Susi: Stop Buying Coral Reefs for Aquariums!
Angga Aliya ZRF - detikFinance
Share 0Tweet0Share02 comments

fb2uLUc-kxwOFLV3P2I1eu0JV7j5N0NMnGzGP7E1Hmh3CrCQcJLOSNeOfPBjAbhY7OLLQuonrJUFjeK-3i1tUzK3yzHgX5o3scG67-i3TygxTFr3oG_b9PpUB-crxbT4790uJsyG0smQrD9XK07DxXRPhJ8dnz3eHEzacIHA2NSnGURMP8PYEe-_HXI=s0-d-e1-ft
Photo: Angga Aliya Firdaus

Monaco - sea Sustainability threatened by the sale of coral reefs. Therefore, should the sale of coral reefs was stopped.

This was said by the Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries Susi Pudjiastuti in the International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI) held in Monaco.

According to Susie damage to the sea is not only caused by climate change, but also there is a business and a great demand for the reef. Demand coral reefs comes from within and outside the country.

"Stop buying coral reefs for aquariums at home! If you still buy, it will triggerpeople to harvest coral reef. If more is taken, your sea will be damaged," Susi said in Monaco on Wednesday (05/12/2018 ).

Also read: Susi Invites Monaco Research Center to Save Coral Reefs

"Having ornamental fish at home is permissible, but (the aquarium) do not use coral reefs. Replace only the others," said Susi.

This coral reef is very important for the life of marine life. Without healthy coral reefs, there will be no more fresh fish that can be taken by fishermen.

"Traditional fishermen already understand that coral reefs are important, but there are also many who do not understand, they are selling and selling. The task of this government is to educate and make rules for this coral reef," he said.

This threat, said Susi, not only in Indonesia alone but in many countries. Therefore Susi felt the need to convey this in an international forum so that more countries are aware of the importance of coral reefs to marine sustainability.

Also read: In Monaco, Susi Reveals the Importance of the World to Save Coral Reefs

I was just throwing out names not that you actually did but there are some who think these bans are good.
I meant nothing by it and never saw you even comment on this before. I was just using some coral vendors names that could be hurt by all this. In another post I used a bunch of manufacturers.
There are coral farmers out there that think this is good and it is not. I have talked to a few that think it is good.
To me coral is not as much a issue as it is fish. People do not understand it is not like freshwater and allot of saltwater fish will never be bred in captivity in numbers.
Plus right now if fish stopped even clownfish would be expensive because there aint much else and there would not be enough to supply the hobby. Also who will invest in captive breeding of fish with a declining hobby.
We all need to ban together. I think fish prices are going to go sky high soon to the point it starts to push some out of the hobby.
Again I meant nothing by it, you guys are a very reputable vendor. We all need to get organised before it is too late. There is no reason this hobby cant ban together to and have enough money to lobby for the future of the hobby. Even reef2reef should start to worry.

All it takes is a few key corals to be listed as endangered and it becomes illegal to even own them let alone farm them. Since we cant tell most sps apart who will risks it. It will come to this and was tried once already.

Susi has been a real issue I have been following her way before the ban. She is so full of it because mariculture was stopped too. It is coming down to one person almost the same as Hawaii. One person and we are thousands all over the world.
I read somewhere she is trying to convince Australia to ban coral shipment now.

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn't be a total ban on corals IMO but yes ... to educate local businesses plus the registered & licensed coral collectors on harvesting, propagate and culturing corals (or even fish) under controlled supervision. This may take years to implement and if bribery and corruption doesn't get in the way of "work-in-progress".

This is hurting a lot of wholesale & retail businesses :( be it local or abroad. Especially from the coral & fish supplying regions.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There shouldn't be a total ban on corals IMO but yes ... to educate local businesses plus the registered & licensed coral collectors on harvesting, propagate and culturing corals (or even fish) under controlled supervision. This may take years to implement and if bribery and corruption doesn't get in the way of "work-in-progress".

This is hurting a lot of wholesale & retail businesses :( be it local or abroad. Especially from the coral & fish supplying regions.

Agreed.

Only issue is by the time this happens or People wake up there wont be much left to supervise. Once a place is closed I really doubt it will reopen.
These people do not want us to be regulated or supervised they just want the hobby shut down. Problem is the hobby still is not changing or waking up and it may be to late by the time it does..

You know in another thread someone said who cares one place shuts down and another opens. That may have been the case in the past and certainly was true with live rock but it is not happening any more.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there are only a few designated coral collection regions in the world and Indonesia being the main player aside from Australia. The others would not be able to cope with the demands from especially North America (mainly USA & some to Canada) let alone Europe or elsewhere.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately there are only a few designated coral collection regions in the world and Indonesia being the main player aside from Australia. The others would not be able to cope with the demands from especially North America (mainly USA & some to Canada) alone let alone Europe or elsewhere.

Yep and it may put to much pressure on the rest and also force them to close.

I think Red Sea area is a pretty big player for fish too.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has been closed at the sponsor's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back