Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there have been some discussion in various threads about the subject, this article is a good summary. When word of the shut down came overnight a couple months ago, the next day an article was circulated that there was no ban, so I'm not sure how many hobbyists are aware of the situation.

No one in Indonesia has a clear view of the path forward, I'm in correspondence with 6 exporters I regularly visit there and each one has a different story. At the recent RAP NY I spoke with numerous industry "insiders" that all had the definitive story, each different, so no one really knows and rumors are rampant.

This thread is just informational and not intended to start a debate on the subject--there are other threads already on this forum about those subjects if you care look into them and get heated. I just thought maybe some folks may not be aware and might have some interest in the subject.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...threat-or-opportunity-for-sustainability.html

Last edited:

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no resolution in sight?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any rumors look promising? At least for farmed corals.

I've heard rumors about opening up Fiji and Indonesia for cultured corals with various start dates, but all just rumors. Part of the problem in Indonesia is past sins catching up in regards to cultured vs wild.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there have been some discussion in various threads about the subject, this article is a good summary. When word of the shut down came overnight a couple months ago, the next day an article was circulated that there was no ban, so I'm not sure how many hobbyists are aware of the situation.

No one in Indonesia has a clear view of the path forward, I'm in correspondence with 6 exporters I regularly visit there and each one has a different story. At the recent RAP NY I spoke with numerous industry "insiders" that all had the definitive story, each different, so no one really knows and rumors are rampant.

This thread is just informational and not intended to start a debate on the subject--there are other threads already on this forum about those subjects if you care look into them and get heated. I just thought maybe some folks may not be aware and might have some interest in the subject.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...threat-or-opportunity-for-sustainability.html

Thank you for the update.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks for the post I do not really know anything about the Indonesian government but the Fiji government I know I bit about, and also the Philippine government. Fiji government is really being tough on Walt Smith and maybe that's because of duty's I sort have have a feeling this is the same in Indonesia the different agencies are not sharing money

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have talked to many importers and LFS owners here in NY, seems like the ban is up with no signs it will come down. Amazingly, the only open channel at this point is Australia which has always been known to be the strictest path compared to the others.

I was told most likely it will not be long before Australia shuts down coral trade not mainly to follow the ongoing suit but also due to the recent catastrophes their reefs have been going through.

The word out here is pack on as much coral as possible and grow them so the trade can survive when all doors get shut. Not a pretty scenario for us at all. I guess we all will need to get used to more common corals at higher prices due to shorter supply.

I wonder if corals that cant be fragged such as wellsos will disappear from the trade

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone else has found any official statements or published articles on this subject please feel free to post.

This is an information thread, not intended for a debate on the subject. If you wish to post rumors or personal comments or get into a discussion about the subject please post in the other threads on this forum or start your own thread. I would prefer one thread that can serve as a source for what is known, your opinions and debate are wonderful but not here, it bogs down and gets political and messy so let's do that elsewhere please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back