Indonesian Cultured Coral Exports will Resume Next Week!

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm kind of excited for indo to open... we'll get to see so many new pests get killed in our QT tanks lol

Are you trying to scare us from scooping up indo colonies so you can have them all to yourself and name them? $300-400 a frag instead of $100 a colony!

$$

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People really think torch prices will drop to 20 bucks a head lol get real. The indo farmers saw what people were willing to pay so I know they wont well them as cheap. Also I'm sure there are other things they have to pay now post ban

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, we known for a while that cultured corals will reopen. Corals have grown to a huge size, but we started fragging them again few months ago, so for SPS, there are already a lot ready, don't you worry guys. For LPS it's a different story. It takes a bit more time.
Also Indo cultured corals are opening back, but not in the same way as before, so prices will never be the same, as there are a lot of new cost involved.
Cheers,
Vincent
This right here. I wouldn't expect the market to be flooded either.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you trying to scare us from scooping up indo colonies so you can have them all to yourself and name them? $300-400 a frag instead of $100 a colony!

$$

Not at all, we're just as excited as the next guy. We're all hobbyists here and having fresh coral to push through QT sounds absolutely amazing. Finding funky pests make QT more entertaining for us because we have to figure out how to kill them.
I do think however, that there will be a pretty solid resurgence of pests that we've not seen in a couple years not in these quantities anyway. With indo opening comes a whole new wave of hobbyists coming into reef keeping not knowing all the things that come on wild shipments. That is the not so fun part. We chime in as much as possible on proper QT and dipping procedure but the reality is that most people won't listen and will have to learn the hard way and thats sad.
I also really hope that corals don't become "replaceable" for people instead of an investment into their reef.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all, we're just as excited as the next guy. We're all hobbyists here and having fresh coral to push through QT sounds absolutely amazing. Finding funky pests make QT more entertaining for us because we have to figure out how to kill them.
I do think however, that there will be a pretty solid resurgence of pests that we've not seen in a couple years not in these quantities anyway. With indo opening comes a whole new wave of hobbyists coming into reef keeping not knowing all the things that come on wild shipments. That is the not so fun part. We chime in as much as possible on proper QT and dipping procedure but the reality is that most people won't listen and will have to learn the hard way and thats sad.
I also really hope that corals don't become "replaceable" for people instead of an investment into their reef.
Thats why I buy a lot from you guys, I let you deal with the fun of the pest, I buy clean corals later, LOL!!!

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this on Facebook. This is what everyone needs to keep in mind. It would be nice for prices to go down, but I believe the reality is that there is a lot of lost income that has be made up for. There are more levels of government that have to be gone through before a coral can be exported as well. I can't wait to see what happens!!! I am very excited for this opportunity that is available once again. Hopefully more vendors will start farming coral as well to help the hobby become somewhat self sustaining.

Screenshot_20200109-230400_Facebook.jpg

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this on Facebook. This is what everyone needs to keep in mind. It would be nice for prices to go down, but I believe the reality is that there is a lot of lost income that has be made up for. There are more levels of government that have to be gone through before a coral can be exported as well. I can't wait to see what happens!!! I am very excited for this opportunity that is available once again. Hopefully more vendors will start farming coral as well to help the hobby become somewhat self sustaining.

Screenshot_20200109-230400_Facebook.jpg
Exactly my thoughts.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how it’s coming from Vincent...

like he said, probably later than next week. I’m curious to see what will be coming in, MC or not.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange sea corals said in that post “what they have is all they are ever going to get as of now”. Does this mean that They are not allowed to collect new corals for mariculture and that we will be seeing the same thing even next year or two? If so that stinks.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be exciting having all the new corals hitting the market ,, not new as in ,, never seen before ,, just in the amount of corals coming into the market for sale that haven't had to have been fragged off of colonies that vendors have had in grow out tanks ,, a Torch head here ,, a chalice frag there ,, limited amounts of frags ,, because they had limited amounts of colonies to frag from ,,

Its going to take awhile for the market to get back to where it was before the ban ,,, but jmo ,, people that want to think that coral prices ,, on corals like Torches aren't gong to drop ,, jmo they don't know this hobby ,, its kinda like driving down to the new car dealership in your town ,, all around that brand new car dealership are 5 used car dealerships ,, companies like ASD are going to get in these big boxes of corals ,, chop them up ,, price and put them up on their sites ,, move them as fast as they can before the next shipment comes in ,, these companies are going to price their frag to move ,, that's just the way it is ,, that $300 per head Torch frag ,, ya'll really think companies like ASD aren't going to get that same colony in ,, chop it up and sell it for $75 per head and sell out of them :)

The lifting on this coral ban is the worst thing that could have happened to the upper end coral companies ,, they have had the upper hand with the limited amount of frags in the market ,, that's all about to change ,, you won't see it right away ,, but its coming ,, its jmo the best thing that could have happened for hobbyist ,, companies like WWC will have no choice but to cut prices ,, not because they aren't selling nice corals ,, but because they are going to have to compete for my coral $$ ,, why would I spend my $189 for that 3 polyp zoa frag from WWC when I can go to one of these other vendors and buy 6 frags for the same money ,,

I use ASD as an example because they are one of the bigger companies that were offering cheaper frags before the ban ,, that company isn't now ,, what it was before the ban ,, to think they won't get back to where they were,, your fooling yourself's ,, ASD is filling up tanks with fresh saltwater as we speak ,, cheaper Torch frags are a coming ,, cheaper Chalice frags are a coming ,, wait for it :)

Last edited:

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange sea corals said in that post “what they have is all they are ever going to get as of now”. Does this mean that They are not allowed to collect new corals for mariculture and that we will be seeing the same thing even next year or two? If so that stinks.
So as of right now they can not collect anything wild.

TriggerFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@TopShelfAquatics:

Would you please share your recommendations on proper QT and dipping procedure? I know you have a very stringent process (and probably some coral will not make it through) but the end result is a very minimal pest environment.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it was in reference to that. Well I believe that will change too at some point. Or at least am hoping :)
The last thing I read I believe they are trying to control wild collection. I am sure it will be pretty strict if the government does eventually allow it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see, the good thing is, some mariculture is better than no mariculture. By the looks of the racks they had out there they have a nice variety of stuff still so I doubt it will get boring too quick. Plus each location is different so that’s a plus. I am just hoping the prices aren’t too high. From the sound of it l it will be. Seems vendors are already talking about extra charges they will have to pay and the sites saying the same. We all know what happens when vendors talk about how things are more expensive for them...

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main driver of price increases are due to perceived rarity, more desirable coloration, and marketing. Most coral does not fall into those categories.

Online forums, blogs, and etc.. have helped perpetuate many of these conventional "wisdoms" of what is hot, desirable, and in demand which allows vendors to take advantage of uneducated consumers. Thus high prices.

Most of the acropora from Indo is quite boring. It deserves very little premium unless you wish to discuss the size of the examples which differs greatly from the frag mentality we see so often today. The same goes for aussi acropora.

In summary do not expect prices to fall for the items people "want and desire the most". People are "sheep like" in this hobby when taken as a whole and will all follow the lead of the trend setters as they come and go. Trend setters being certain vendors, hobbyists, bloggers, and etc...

For the more common corals that many do not give a second look at due to the influence and power of the internet will come down drastically in price if Indo can grow them out within the new rules being developed today.

My two cents. I am not sure what people are expecting from this to be honest. When the majority all want 15% of what is being imported why would you expect prices to decline?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the acropora from Indo is quite boring.

Really? I get a lot of mariculture from indo is bread and butter but there are a number of really nice pieces mixed in there as well as farms that tend to the more colorful popular pieces even though I am not sure if they will be opened or not. I am curious as to where you think all the nice acropora comes from?
I have seen so many mariculture pieces become vendors top pieces even before the ban.

OP
OP
Weevo

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that is what happens. TSA, WWC ,Unique I believe they take these pieces and adapt them to aquarium life and lights and wait to see what happens. Some winners , some losers.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I get a lot of mariculture from indo is bread and butter but there are a number of really nice pieces mixed in there as well as farms that tend to the more colorful popular pieces even though I am not sure if they will be opened or not. I am curious as to where you think all the nice acropora comes from?
I have seen so many mariculture pieces become vendors top pieces even before the ban.

Like many members here who have been present when shipments came in over the last 20 years we all know that 10 to 15% of the acropora is like WOW! That might literally be 3 to 6 examples. The owner knows he can mark those way up compared to the others. He knows he can reserve some of those to frag or grow out to frag. The rest quite frankly is average to blah.

It is the way it has always been. The most desirable stuff we have today is that small percentage of amazing coral that come in via 100s of shipments.

Pick something even easier to figure out. Like monti cap. No ones cares about the usual colors. But if that one special cap comes in... hot dang... we have a winner. And a new craze starts. Ditto with digitata. A super cheap coral. But what if a new color came in like pink with yellow? Boom. 150 dollar frags and everyone must have it.

Acropora is exactly the same. I guess one gets jaded over time. The owner knows special when they see it quite often.

If everything was awesome... we would not even have pricing discussions here. Everything would be amazing. Well it ain't

Last edited:

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing venders/sellers trying to keep prices high.
Saying nothing will fundamentally change.
Even being bold enough to say if anything prices will go up.

We the buyer set prices. I have been doing my part. If prices don't fall, whatever. I wil just keep buying from local frag swaps or just not buy at all.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back