IndyReef 210 Gallon Peninsula Build

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

After 15 years of being out of the hobby, I am jumping back into reefkeeping with a 250G system build. I previously had a 180 gallon reef and worked for a local saltwater fish store doing retail and client aquarium maintenance. A lot has changed since those days – beyond all the new equipment options, I now have a wife, munchkins, and a busy professional life. Each will factor into this build. . . if I want to stay married ; )

The tank will be a 210 gallon peninsula style mixed reef tank (68L x 30W x 24H) built by Planet Aquarium with Starphire glass on the 3 show sides and a 16” Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow.

To give you a flavor of what’s in store for this thread, I am creating this build thread to chronicle the aquarium progress, help me document what is working/not, and perhaps give someone else some ideas for their reef builds (as I have a learned a lot from reading other’s people stories here on R2R). I appreciate good equipment, good photography, and a good plan, so I hope this thread features a bit of each. I am also the ‘world’s okay-est woodworker,’ so I plan to build my own canopy, stand wrapper, and perhaps acrylic sump and sump accessories. If any of the above interest you, I hope you tag along.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Indy. :)

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love peninsula style tanks. Just wish I had a place in my house for one! Tagging along!
Thanks for tagging along. This is my first peninsula, so I'm excited. The wife didn't totally understand the logic of having a tank jet out into the room versus against a wall, but I hope she'll see the wisdom once it's set up.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent ... assuming you are in Indy. I’m close so feel free to let me know if you would like a hand. Looking forward to your build.

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for tagging along. This is my first peninsula tank, so I'm excited. The wife did not exactly see the wisdom of having the tank jet out from the wall instead of laying flat against it, but she's been an absolute trooper and I hope will appreciate it fully later.

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love peninsula style tanks. Just wish I had a place in my house for one! Tagging along!
Thanks for tagging along. This is my first peninsula tank, so I'm excited. The wife did not exactly see the wisdom of having the tank jet out from the wall instead of laying flat against it, but she's been an absolute trooper and I hope will appreciate it fully later.

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first step in the tank build process was to redo the basement, which somewhat resembled the basement in Silence of the Lambs (minus the dry well) – not a place you want to hang out. It had cement block walls, nasty carpet, and a drop ceiling, which I learned during demo was a mouse highway during the previous owners’ tenure (yikes).

Here is a pic of the finished product with my custom metal stand - made from 1/8" thick 2" rectangular steel tubing. I will put plywood on top and then another thin sheet of HDPE to provide a bit more water resistance. The stand was powder coated.
IMG_4654_Sized.jpg

I am a little nervous about the 52" span on the right - i.e. will it bow too much. If so, I might have to install another vertical support point. If there are any stand/metal experts out there, I would appreciate the input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first step in the tank build process was to redo the basement, which somewhat resembled the basement in Silence of the Lambs (minus the dry well) – not a place you want to hang out. It had cement block walls, nasty carpet, and a drop ceiling, which I learned during demo was a mouse highway during the previous owners’ tenure (yikes).
Here is a pic of the finished product with my custom metal stand - made from 1/8" thick 2" rectangular steel tubing. I will put plywood on top and then another thin sheet of HDPE to provide a bit more water resistance. The stand was powder coated.
IMG_4654_Sized.jpg

I am a little nervous about the 52" span on the right - i.e. will it bow too much. If so, I might have to install another vertical support point. If there are any stand/metal experts out there, I would appreciate the input.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little nervous about the 52" span on the right - i.e. will it bow too much.
I wouldn’t be nervous at all. I redid my stand with a 45” span and it’s powdercoated steel on top of wood. Your legs are steel. I wouldn’t hesitate. You could probably park a tank on that thing .... whoa .. see what I did there?

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long break - had a little setback! The tank arrived about 8 weeks ago and at first glance looked amazing:
IMG_4775.jpg

But on further glance, you can see the craters shot a nail through the top of the Eurobracing. Doh!
Cracked Tank.jpg

Planet Aquarium was going to send a tech to just replace the top, but after some lobbying by me, they agreed to build me a new tank. That's the good news. The bad news is that it delayed the build by 8 weeks. The tank should ship next week, however, so we're getting close to delivery! Can't wait!

IMG_4775.jpg

Cracked Tank.jpg

Last edited:

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a bummer. Patience is a learned trait in this hobby. Glad they are working with you.

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my water changing/RO station, which has been an absolute luxury compared to the free standing trash can and flooding the basement when I forget to turn off the water. Here's the finished result.
IMG_4979.JPG

The tanks are 55 gallon Ace Roto Mold Utility Tanks from Rural King. I ordered online and received free shipping, so I would highly recommend that. I am also using a Vectra M1 pump, which is overkill, but it will also serve as my backup return pump if my main ever goes out. The RO/DI system is the BRS 150 GPD 6 stage. For an extra tip, I used Oatey clear primer instead of purple primer to keep the glue joints clean. Where I live, you can only get the clear primer from a specialty plumbing store (versus HD or Lowes), but it was well worth the trip.

If someone wants a plumbing part list for the setup, here you go:
  • Adapter - Male threaded-slip x2 (will need to shop at Lowes for exact size)
  • Union - slip-slip_1" x 3
  • Cepex Ball Valve_1" x 2
  • 90 degree - slip-slip_1" x 2
  • Tee_1" x 1
  • Tee_3/4" x 1
  • Cepex Ball Valve_3/4" x 2
  • 90 degree_3/4" x 2
  • 45 degree_3/4" x 1
  • Uniseal_3/4" x 2 (one is extra to run a heater wire but not required)

OP
OP
I

Indy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how tall you stand is.
Thanks. It’s 42” tall so I have the plenty of head room below where all the equipment will be. I will need a stool to get over the tank when needed, but I figured I would be in the cabinet way more than I will need to be over the tank.

Back