Inexpensive but beautiful fishes.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 or 7 of these little green gobies. Some I have about 2 years or more. I get them for less then ten bucks here in New York. I am going to that LFS today to see if I can get 3 or 4 more as they are small.

Firefish are six bucks but I don't get them because they jump out.

The copperband and long nose sell for something like $25.00 or $30.00 and are my favorite fish.

These guys are a little more, maybe $35.00.

These ruby reds are about $12.00 or $15.00 I have a spawning pair.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 or 7 of these little green gobies. Some I have about 2 years or more. I get them for less then ten bucks here in New York. I am going to that LFS today to see if I can get 3 or 4 more as they are small.

Firefish are six bucks but I don't get them because they jump out.

The copperband and long nose sell for something like $25.00 or $30.00 and are my favorite fish.

These guys are a little more, maybe $35.00.

dang! now thats some serious pricing.
A copperband here costs 149

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, maybe it is equal expensive when we check the purchasing power and income comparison
Still - 150 for a non-eating copperband is heavy.
I'm in england and I paid £ 40 for my copperband and most lfs are all about same price around me.
€149= about £ 140 which is massive difference.
Maybe less reefers there so less lfs = higher price as less fish go through their systems so need to make higher profit just a guess and america massive with alot more people and alot more reefers so lesser price again ?

Screenshot_20220201-124154_Google.jpg Screenshot_20220201-124204_Google.jpg Screenshot_20220201-124312_Google.jpg

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in england and I paid £ 40 for my copperband and most lfs are all about same price around me.
€149= about £ 140 which is massive difference.
Maybe less reefers there so less lfs = higher price as less fish go through their systems so need to make higher profit just a guess and america massive with alot more people and alot more reefers so lesser price again ?
thats def. true.. we only have a handful of LFS here in switzerland and I guess one wholesale which is delivering all the LFS once a week or so. That means, not alot of reefers here and not as much fish are being sold. If someone sells their fish from their own tank usually the prices are way better. I got my 2 clowns for 25each.. normally they are 50each.
PLus it is harder to import into switzerland as we are not in the EU and CITES also is a problem.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Azure Damselfish (C. Hemicyanea)
2. Orchid Dottyback (P. Fridmani)
3. Coral Beauty Angel (C. Bispinosa)
4. Many Halichoeres wrasses
5. Some basslets of the genus Gramma, Liopropoma and Serranus

I am not a fan of:
1. Designer Clownfish (don’t get me started on them)
2. Bangaii and Pajama Cardinals
3. Most Acanthurus Tangs and Naso Tangs (the only two genera of Tangs I’m slightly more in favor of are Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus)
4. Firefish and Dartfish (can be pretty but TOO skittish)
5. The common varieties of Chromis
6. The larger / more aggressive damsels
7. The smaller, schooling varieties of Anthias, they do not appeal to me like the larger species (Odontanthias etc.) which pair or form small harems at most
8. Holacanthus angels

Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recently were these fish purchased at these prices? It seems like pricing has gone through the roof the last couple of years. The last 2 fish I bought were a Flame Angel @ $90 and a Biota Coral Beauty @ $80. Both from a LFS. Flame didn't make it through QT.
I just purchased a coral beauty for about $30 in Detroit two weeks ago. He's doing great.

mabner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paid 29 for my common clown fish.
I really like the normal colours of it, no crazy colour morths or patterns, none of thay design clown stuff, just normal clown.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say CB Splendid Dotty - but only because someone else said Royal Gramma

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all interesting stuff -- I like seeing pics of fish I hadn't considered (since I only have 2 fish).

$20 for clownfish (when juvenile) from not-exactly-local fish store.
$12 for bicolor blenny from PetCo -- yep.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see C. Hemicyanea and C. Talboti mentioned together but it seems that under natural / normal light, C. Talboti’s colors don’t compare to C. Hemicyanea which retains a very vivid blue and yellow contrast whereas C. Talboti fades into a kind of light, somewhat meaty pink. IMO the best combination of damsels would be a group of C. Hemicyanea with a few of the larger C. Starcki tossed in. C. Hemicyanea just looks amazing even compared to its counterpart C. Parasema, it’s all about the contrast of two different colors on C. Hemicyanea.

I also have a somewhat unpopular opinion, to make colorful fish stand out more than usual, get less brightly colored corals. This means corals with more subtle rather than rainbow colors, which basically includes a lot of softies, as well as non-fleshy LPS and some lower end SPS.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back