Mine goes to zero.

544B0DAD-7354-428C-86BE-A709838EACDA.png

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant remember how the manual states T1 vs T2 but I'm wondering if it just converts whichever is lower to the LCL. Otherwise with the set-up you described, what's the point in using the controller at all haha. I've had the heating time alarm go off when I had it set to like 3 hours and had inadequate wattage. It gave an annoying alarm and my phone went crazy. Didn't give it enough time to figure out what the heaters were doing in that situation.

It sure what the manual states exactly but it’s half gibberish anyway.

I’m using it as a way to keep a failed heater from crashing the tank, to monitor temps remotely, and have an alarm in case function in case I need it.

Is there a reason to think the InkBird will keep the temp more consistent than the eheim?

Just trying of the pro and cons of the typical set up vs the reverse set up (with eheim type heaters).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@workhz there is still one thing with your setup I don't understand. The way you have it setup the heater works for normally controlling the temp (which I guess can be done). If the heater fails with the thermostat staying on, then your inkbird will turn it off at 80 degrees, but then it won't turn the heat back on until the temp gets to 50 degrees. Why not set that value to something reasonable like mid 70's so that your tank won't get too cold if the heater fails on?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd that yours doesn’t go to zero. Are you using the InkBird pro app? The manual states to set it at zero to not alarm and the app shows zero for me and I have it set at zero.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@workhz there is still one thing with your setup I don't understand. The way you have it setup the heater works for normally controlling the temp (which I guess can be done). If the heater fails with the thermostat staying on, then your inkbird will turn it off at 80 degrees, but then it won't turn the heat back on until the temp gets to 50 degrees. Why not set that value to something reasonable like mid 70's so that your tank won't get too cold if the heater fails on?
I guess it can be any number. Just messing around with it for now. There’s no way the tank drops below 73 no matter what even with both heaters off.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd that yours doesn’t go to zero. Are you using the InkBird pro app? The manual states to set it at zero to not alarm and the app shows zero for me and I have it set at zero.
Nope the app I have is called inkbird smart, so you're probably right and that's the difference. According the the app store there is also an inkbird plus app. I wonder whey they have 3 seperate apps.

As for which thermostat is better, I set my difference on the inkbird to be half of a degree, but according to my apex I honestly get just at 1 degree temp swing. I don't know how constant the eheim keeps the temperature.

I guess it can be any number. Just messing around with it for now. There’s no way the tank drops below 73 no matter what even with both heaters off.
Really whether you should leave that low temp at 50 is based upon how cold your tank will get without any heat. If it doesn't get low enough to be detrimental to your tank, then it wouldn't matter.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual said to use InkBird pro so that’s what I used. It had significantly less reviews than regular InkBird so it might be new. Haven’t a clue.

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are yall liking the controllers? About to jump the gun on the wifi one.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with mine since I bought it. It's not the nicest piece of equipment but for the price it's easily worth it. A temp controller (either standalone or part of an aquarium controller) is one piece of equipment that every tank should have IMO.

Back