Innovation in reef keeping: What would you like to measure in your tank that is not currently available?

Is there anything that you would like to measure in your system that is not currently available?

• Yes, there are specific measurements that are missing.

Votes: 45 22.7%
  • Yes, there are probably additional measurements that would be helpful.

Votes: 49 24.7%
  • No, I’m fine with the current measurements available.

Votes: 62 31.3%
  • No, there are already too many measurements available.

Votes: 34 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.0%

• Total voters

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for a device capable of real time monitoring or at least the simplicity of a test strip or sample inserted. Most of the auto devices now days require maintenance, repair and consumables like reagents and are far from maturity. Did I mention generally inaccurate. I use probes, Hanna devices and test kits but would like to see the day most of that is obsolete with the advent of a mini mass spectrometer providing ICMP like results to hobbyists. They do exist but the prices are still high and of course not tailored for our use. There has to be some bright/entrepreneurial mind out there that could cook up one, keep the price in the realm of reason and make bank.
I agree! I think of commercial aquarium industry and how they could become refuges for dieing reefs if we had better ways to monitor water quality and chemistry of the water. It may seem crazy to want a probe that tells me what my water is made up of. . . . It seems silly to not demand that when we're housing thousands of $$ of livestock. To not know what the water is made up of is crazy silly... Knowledge is power.

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovation in reef keeping: What would you like to measure in your tank that is not currently available?

There are meters for light, flow, temperature, water depth, salinity, and many, many types of water parameters that we can measure from alkalinity to zinc as well as many other chemicals that are difficult to pronounce and some that we don’t fully understand if or why they matter to our reef tanks. Whether it is a meter that we use ourselves or a meter in a lab where we send our water samples, there are meters that test a wide variety of factors in and around or reef tanks. Of course, there may be some meters that you don’t have yet or tests that you haven’t requested from a lab but are available. In addition to those items, is there anything that you would like to measure in your aquarium system that is not currently available? Whether you think there is already to many electronic gizmos or think there a still measurement gaps that need to be filled, please share your ideas and thoughts in the related discussion thread.

Broadfield_Apex.jpeg

Photo by @Broadfield

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”
I want to be able to test how hungry my fish actually are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back