Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 Bay Area Build

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Im still fairly new, I set up my first tank (A Evo 13.5 in Sep ‘17) and quickly moved into a Lagoon 25 in November. Here we are in March I’ve made into my final tank upgrade, a Lagoon 50. I am limited in size due to where I live hence the confidence in that statement. I also wanted to keep it simple, no controls, no sump and quiet. I also consider it a nano, after all was said and done (displacement from the equipment, 20lbs of sand and 25 pounds of rock) it only holds about 36 gallons of water. I Love the dimensions and look forward to building this tank out long term.

Equipment list:

Lagoon 50

APEX EL

Sicce 1.5 Main Return
Cobalt MJ1200 Reactor Pump
Ecotech MP-10
Icecap Gyre 1k

AquaMaxx Algae Reactor
Neotherm 200w Heater
Auto-Aqua Micro ATO

Cadlights PLS-50 Elite II
Innovative Marine Mini-Max Pro (biopellets)

Innovative Marine Media Basket
In-Tank Floss Holder

Chemipure Blue
Marine Pure Blocks

Nanobox Hybrid (4x V3.1 Arrays and 2x T5)

Inhabitants:
Purple Fire Fish
Leopard Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Yellow Clown Goby
Starry Blenny
Pair of Dragon Face Pipefish

Cleaner Shrimp

LFS of choice - Diablo Corals - Concord, Ca

Bellow is a quick shot the same day of the move, I’ll get some good ones this week :)

EE1A4280-1B9F-433F-A2EE-90EA469FF1FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself also have but looking forward to upgrading my fluval 13.5 but my upgrade will be the IM30L due to limitations also. where do you have your reactor pump and return going in your filtration? as for your media baskets what do you currently have in those and are both those in place of the filter socks that come with the tank.
Hello!

Im still fairly new, I set up my first tank (A Evo 13.5 in Sep ‘17) and quickly moved into a Lagoon 25 in November. Here we are in March I’ve made into my final tank upgrade, a Lagoon 50. I am limited in size due to where I live hence the confidence in that statement. I also wanted to keep it simple, no controls, no sump and quiet. I also consider it a nano, after all was said and done (displacement from the equipment, 20lbs of sand and 25 pounds of rock) it only holds about 36 gallons of water. I Love the dimensions and look forward to building this tank out long term.

Equipment list:

Lagoon 50

Sicce 2.0 Main Return
Sicce 0.5 Reactor Pump
Ecotech MP-10

AquaMaxx Algae Reactor
Neotherm 200w Heater
Auto-Aqua Micro ATO
Tunze 9001 DC

Innovative Marine Media Basket
In-Tank Floss Holder

Kessil A360WE, A-Series Arm and Spectral Controller

Inhabitants:
Purple Fire Fish - Rapunzel
Platinum Percula - Daenerys
Leopard Wrasse - No Name yet
Purple Tang - No Name Yet

LFS of choice - Diablo Corals - Concord, Ca

Bellow is a quick shot the same day of the move, I’ll get some good ones this week :)

EE1A4280-1B9F-433F-A2EE-90EA469FF1FA.jpeg
[/QUOTE

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21855C93-E137-44F9-9D8D-C55EBD86EF6B.jpeg
Look nice I have a JBJ 45 Gallon AIO that I converted to have a sump but have a few more fish then you and it’s three years olds thanks for sharing

It looks nicely grown in!

I myself also have but looking forward to upgrading my fluval 13.5 but my upgrade will be the IM30L due to limitations also. where do you have your reactor pump and return going in your filtration? as for your media baskets what do you currently have in those and are both those in place of the filter socks that come with the tank.

I made a little graphic of exactly how I have the sump set up. And you are correct, no socks. The only thing I use in the basket is a bag of Chemipure Blue and filter floss up top. If I need to, I use the 3rd shelf for phosband. Other than that I rely on my rocks/marinepure and reactor to do most of the filtering and my parameters have been ok with that. I use the reactor to grow copepods too for my Leopard Wrasse. Good luck on the upgrade!

AIO.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nicely grown in!

I made a little graphic of exactly how I have the sump set up. And you are correct, no socks. The only thing I use in the basket is a bag of Chemipure Blue and filter floss up top. If I need to, I use the 3rd shelf for phosband. Other than that I rely on my rocks/marinepure and reactor to do most of the filtering and my parameters have been ok with that. I use the reactor to grow copepods too for my Leopard Wrasse. Good luck on the upgrade!

AIO.jpg
Thank you

Bigtex817

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that update that will be my guide to my upgrade when that happens

edgewater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Build! Slowly will be starting my lagoon 50 as well.
Isnt the 9001 skimmer a little small for this setup?

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Build! Slowly will be starting my lagoon 50 as well.
Isnt the 9001 skimmer a little small for this setup?

Thank you! Yes the 9001 is just barely meeting capacity, its transplant from my 25g Lagoon. Its rated for 37 gallons and my tank hold 38 gallons. In the future I may look into upgrading it to maybe a cadlights PLS, but for now I run it on a timer, 8 hours a day. Tank seems to be happy.

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a while. I’ve been very busy at work building/designing a new roller coaster.

Firstly, I did a huge re-scape a few weeks back with some caribsea shapes. I got ride of most of the stax rock I had. I wanted to create some negative space and swim throughs, I’d say mission success. I’m eyeing one more piece, but more on that later.

Got a ton of new livestock. I’ve been focused on collecting nems. I’ve got a Sunset Extreme from Legendary Corals, A true Sherman Rose,Ultra Rainbow, a Black Widow and 3 different BTA strains! I also re-homed my purple tang. Looking at a Mystery Wrasse and a pair of Dragon Pipefish to add in.

Lastly some needed upgrades to my equipment. I replaced my tunze 9001 with a Cadlights PLS-50 Elite II. Wow, can’t believe there’s so little info out there on these. It skims amazing, dark and nasty stuff. Best piece of equipment I have. I also upgraded my reactor pump to an MJ1200 and added a new IM Reactor Pro running biopellets. The reactor is definitely an upgrade, easy to control. Trickle is a little loud, but not a deal breaker. Phew, thats a lot!

Next on the list, T5 hybrid :0

Front View:
481729AF-1927-47D7-BD54-74E1F264508B.jpeg

Side View:
AAC834E7-7751-4C11-82A8-319646B9C497.jpeg

Top View:
0D9BE28D-22E6-4170-90CC-9F721525F784.jpeg

Artsy Shot with the equipment:
9BC39147-E02A-4626-A351-A0F446FDCCD3.jpeg

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! How is the one Kessil working out? Any SPS? I have the 25 Lagoon and want to upgrade to the 50, but am debating one light or two.

Depends on the light. My single A360WE has been ok, but strongly looking at options to do a T5 hybrid to eliminate shadowing. The one downfall of this tank size is the width, bigger than 24” less than 36”....

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking really nice. What setting and speed are you running your mp10. I'm also running a single Kessil A360we on my 50 lagoon. Are you using the Kessil Extension slide bar for your kessil arm or just the bar that came with the arm kit? Also, do you think that skimmer would fit in chamber 2?

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking really nice. What setting and speed are you running your mp10. I'm also running a single Kessil A360we on my 50 lagoon. Are you using the Kessil Extension slide bar for your kessil arm or just the bar that came with the arm kit? Also, do you think that skimmer would fit in chamber 2?

Hi!

I run it at 80% on Reef Crest. I used just the arm, but I’m certain now I’m switching up my light. And no, the skimmer can go in chamber 1 or the return, unfortunately chamber 2 is too small.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I run it at 80% on Reef Crest. I used just the arm, but I’m certain now I’m switching up my light. And no, the skimmer can go in chamber 1 or the return, unfortunately chamber 2 is too small.

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some new hardware. A new screen top, the Pro version from IM. Love it, I hated the V1 clips, it always caught water and ran it out of the tank. And because the clips are integrated into the corners, I was able to cut it precisely for a tight fit. I also got a steal of a deal on a Nanobox Hybrid. I’ve been contemplating a switch to T5 Hybrid and couldn’t pass it up. Planning to send it off to Dave to refurb and add 2 arrays. I can’t wait!

02AFD903-E272-4D38-85C7-32A4C9450AF0.jpeg

545AD205-AB33-42DC-B1B5-945088EF11F0.jpeg

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick test fit before I send the unit out to Dave for refurbishment. I love it!

BD7BC499-F720-4A8B-8E80-564FFFC3A778.jpeg

OP
OP
Ikikimo

Ikikimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated my equipment list! Gyre 1k in the water!

Back