Input wanted on sump build

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 75g tank using a 40 breeder as the sump. water comes in via eshops
947D8AF0-DA27-4606-9FB4-DE4F1F94F27A.jpeg
A5503002-06B1-4319-8E8D-9008BBE529ED.jpeg
800 gph drilled overflow, then will overflow to filter pads and possibly bio blocks. Under flow to skimmer, under-over-under bubble trap to return pump in center. The right side will be an overflow fuge with DSB. Tank can only drain about 7g.

Should fudge be fed off of sump input or T off of return. My adjustable return is a hydor 1600, so I have flow to spare.

I currently have 5 freshwater planted tanks, but haven’t played with saltwater since 2003.

Thanks in advance
Shane

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design you have can be done this way. However I like having the refugium first so I get the unfiltered tank water going through it. Not really a fan of Teeing off a single overflow. Depending on how it’s done you could create a good spot for the pipe to plug up. By the way I would not run a DSB. There are more stories but them crashing tanks then success.

D867418C-DA43-425D-98EF-04E217ED2CE7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could easily do fuge first, then skimmer then return, with no Ts. Overflow straight to fuge. In that setup do you ever filter particulates (floss, pads or socks) before going to return?

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great thread so far. I am in the same spot as you are. Building a 50g Lagoon and trying to think of sump design.

I am planning to have the drain flow pass the skimmer then fuge before the return.

That would allow the skimmer to pick up and the waste for hitting the fuge.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could easily do fuge first, then skimmer then return, with no Ts. Overflow straight to fuge. In that setup do you ever filter particulates (floss, pads or socks) before going to return?

Some people go with out letting the skimmer do the work and others use stuff like that. You can add socks in the first section or jam pads in the bubble trap. You will have to change or clean what ever you use every few days though. If you go without you will need to use a power head to keep things in suspension so the skimmer can take them out. Instead of a DSB I would use an ATS and the big Bio blocks.

KGreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my 40 breeder sump with 55g. More room for return pump water holding area as my ATO is me and a picture of rodi water everyday. Thus did you plan ATO solution? At 8 inches that seems shallow to me.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend an over-under-over bubble trap instead because the surface trapped between the baffles won’t have much agitation and will collect a biofilm over time. With the o-u-o setup, there is a ripple over the first baffle to pull the surface of the chamber upstream and churns the water between the baffles. There is also a ripple after the last baffle that agitates the section after the trap. Small details but they can have a big impact long term.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back