Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts Hello. I just finished hooking up my Smart Buddie to my BRS unit today. As you can see from the video, the line going from the booster to the membrane vibrates heavily and the pressure gauge is going crazy. Any idea what is causing this?

Also, the light on top of the unit fades from green to red to blue - wasn't sure it is was supposed to do that or stay green if everything is good.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Hello @DeeBee ,

Both are normal. The pump works like a piston, so it pushes water back and forth, back and forth which causes the vibration and bouncing of the needle on your pressure gauge.

The light on top of the unit is just to let you know that you have power going to the unit. The colors do not indicate anything. Pretty much for aesthetic purposes only.

Sweet looking set up!

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like that it vibrates. It lets me know when its on.

Pirate - does your pressure gauge jumps around like that as well? I have seen other RO booster pumps that deliver steady pressure like one would expect.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pirate - does your pressure gauge jumps around like that as well? I have seen other RO booster pumps that deliver steady pressure like one would expect.

No, my gauge is steady at 60 PSI. I think it's the input line that rattles when the water is on.

Joey R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping this thread isn’t dead and @AquaticLifeProducts still responds. I just got a replacement 100gpd rodi jr and also ordered the smart buddy because the pressure gauge on the RO system says I’m only getting 20-30 psi. I’m curious about a few things. The first one and probably the most dumb one. Do I turn the smart buddy on before or after I turn the water on? (I’m so embarrassed). My next question is, will the smart buddy affect my pressure gauge on my 100gpd rodi jr? It still stays at a static 20-30 and only moves when I turn the water off. My final question is, the sticker on my system says that the max psi is 80; does the smart buddy exceed that number and if so, how detrimental is that to the RO system? Thank you for your time, (if you’re there!) and I hope to hear back soon. =)

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I’m hoping this thread isn’t dead and @AquaticLifeProducts still responds. I just got a replacement 100gpd rodi jr and also ordered the smart buddy because the pressure gauge on the RO system says I’m only getting 20-30 psi. I’m curious about a few things. The first one and probably the most dumb one. Do I turn the smart buddy on before or after I turn the water on? (I’m so embarrassed). My next question is, will the smart buddy affect my pressure gauge on my 100gpd rodi jr? It still stays at a static 20-30 and only moves when I turn the water off. My final question is, the sticker on my system says that the max psi is 80; does the smart buddy exceed that number and if so, how detrimental is that to the RO system? Thank you for your time, (if you’re there!) and I hope to hear back soon. =)
  1. You can do either. The smart Buddie will only operate if the water pressure is enough to operate the pump. So if it is plugged in it may start briefly but will turn off until the water supply is turned ON.
  2. Since the RO Jr’s pressure gauge is before the Smart Buddie it will not show the increase pressure to the membrane. It will only show increased pressure if you have the gauge between the pump and the membrane.
  3. The canisters are rated at 80 PSI and should not be used above that. The membrane housing can handle more pressure and that is one of the reason why the pressure is not pushed through the canisters just the membrane housing.

So if you use the Smart Buddie with the RO Jr. and plumb like we recommend you will be fine. I have a link to a video instructions for the your two items.

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a question. So to the membrane is there a reason why the tubbing shakes? There a reason why the unit seems to autoflush after it's unplugged?

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this unit to add to my aquatic life 4 stage twist in RODI unit. I really like the RODI unit! Unless I am missing something I don't see instruction on how to plumb this booster pump into my RODI unit. Are there any videos on how to hook up the booster pump to the RODI unit?

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the video link did not work but I checked the you tube video and all I saw was the buddie RODI unit and not the 4 stage twist in RODI unit instructions.

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh duh I need to read more carefully. After some research I didn't come up with anything. I wonder if this unit works with them.

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent an email to customer service regarding the proper hook up - IF it works on the 4 stage unit!!!

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would depend on the water pressure created on the filtered line side by the permeate pump. The high pressure switch on the Smart Buddie will turn the unit off around 30 PSI. I read that a permeate pump would bring the pressure tank up to line pressure. If that is the case I do not think the Smart Buddie would work correctly as the it could not reach line pressure due to the high pressure switch turning the unit off.

You would need to keep the high pressure switch so the smart buddie knows when to turn off.

Dave

Very Cool Dave

MJNTWise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 4 months now and love it....really helps on the way I have mine set up.....This is how I have mine set up and love it....

I run a RO Buddy, With 2 solenoids. With a 30 sec delay (Apex) the RO Buddy comes on. Then after a 45 sec delay the supply solenoid opens to allow for the flush to do its thing. Then after 60 second delay the RODI Solenoid opens and feeds the sump. The reason I’m doing this is for TDS. I feel the kind of guarantees 0 TDS going into sump.

Frances Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best purchase I’ve made. Very satisfied. With better water pressure i’m Getting more filtered water than waste water. Was very easy to install.

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah hands down best purchase I've picked up in a while. If say almost a 1:1. And I'm making 50 gallons in about 10 hours at 95 psi.

Frances Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to take me all day to get 30 gallons of water, now it takes a few hours. Getting a 100 on the PSI. The water pressure in my area is very unpredictable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Other.

Back