Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Frances Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a 100 PSI, use to take all day to get 30 gallons of water thru my 100 gallon a day RO. The water ratio is better and the water quality is better.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I got a question. So to the membrane is there a reason why the tubbing shakes? There a reason why the unit seems to autoflush after it's unplugged?

Since the pump is using a diaphragm of sorts, the pump pulses causing the tubing to shake. If you unplug the unit it will auto flush each time. The only way to prevent this, is to leave it plugged in and turn the water supply off or turn the filtered line off. Then it would only flush every 24 hours of operation going forward.

Frances Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see how to reduce the pressure on the booster, I hope a 100 PSI is ok.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, most membranes are rated to 125 PSI and the smart buddie will create a pressure of 90 - 100 PSI on startup.
Is there a way to turn down the the booster pump so that it's not at 100psi? I know mentioned that membranes are rated to 100psi but are the fittings rated that high too? I'm a little concerned I'll blow a fitting. Thank you

Edat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this for a few years now and love it!
Within the last few weeks I've noticed an occasional "jerk" while it's making water, like once every 10-15 seconds. It never did this before.
Today I noticed that it is now a constant "jerk", about once every second.
TDS is still 0 after DI and 1-2 after RO membrane.
Is this a sign of something going bad and if so what parts would be needed to fix?
Thanks!

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Strange, almost sounds like the pump. It is a brushed motor, so depending on usage it could need to have the brushes replaced. We can do it, it requires soldering to replace.

If you want to send in for review and repair please let me know at [email protected]

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts Ive been using my booster for two years now and absolutely love it. I have a few questions that I’ve always wondered about and came across this thread. I use this booster to fill up a 16gal jug every three weeks that gets its water supply from the bathroom sink. I turn the water supply valve on only when I need to fill the jug and keep the power on for the booster 24/7.

1. Should I power off/on booster every three weeks when I plan to make water ?

2. Having the booster always on and only making water every three weeks, does that increase TDS in the rodi system and sending it into the jug because it does not flush system?

3. By having the booster always on it doesn’t flush the system, does that reduce the affectivness of the di resin and membrane ?

4. I am planning on replacing the rodi membrane and in the instructions it says to open flush valve for one hour to remove any unwanted materials from the membrane. How can I do that with this booster ?

The answers to these question will really help me out with my TDS problem.
Thank you

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Good Morning,

1. You do not need to. The low pressure switch will activate the internal shutoff when the water supply is turned off. But if you do turn it off, you will force an automatic flush each time the unit is powered back ON.

2. You may see a slight increase in TDS on the initial startup, this is common with RO but powering it on will flush the membrane and if you divert the first few minutes of filtered water to waste you should see the TDS drop quickly to normal levels.

3. When powered ON all the time the total hours of use will be used to calculate the next flush which is right around 24 hours.

4. We flush our membrane for around 30 minutes but not only through the waste line. If you want I would remove the waste line going to the Smart Buddie and just run it to drain to follow their instructions. So by not connecting the waste to the Smart Buddie you are bypassing the internal flow restrictor.

Let me know if you have additional questions, will be glad to help.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

1. You do not need to. The low pressure switch will activate the internal shutoff when the water supply is turned off. But if you do turn it off, you will force an automatic flush each time the unit is powered back ON.

2. You may see a slight increase in TDS on the initial startup, this is common with RO but powering it on will flush the membrane and if you divert the first few minutes of filtered water to waste you should see the TDS drop quickly to normal levels.

3. When powered ON all the time the total hours of use will be used to calculate the next flush which is right around 24 hours.

4. We flush our membrane for around 30 minutes but not only through the waste line. If you want I would remove the waste line going to the Smart Buddie and just run it to drain to follow their instructions. So by not connecting the waste to the Smart Buddie you are bypassing the internal flow restrictor.

Let me know if you have additional questions, will be glad to help.

Thanks for the quick response!

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I can keep the Buddie system always on and when I make the water the system will right away flush for 18 second, basically opening the flow restrictor because it has been in operation longer then 24 hours.

1. Now what do I need to do to manually flush the system before and after making water ?
Where do I install a Y fitting with a valve to divert the flush waste ?
I would like to stop the TDS creep going into my container.

2.Can I increase flush time of 18 seconds ?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Sorry had a GFCI go out on my 315 in the office so I was getting it back up and running.

You can keep the Smart Buddie always ON but it will only flush after it has operated for 24 hours of production.

If you want to have it flush I would turn the unit off after each use and when turned ON it will automatically flush the RO.

We can not increase the time, it is programed into the controller inside the Smart Buddie.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry had a GFCI go out on my 315 in the office so I was getting it back up and running.

You can keep the Smart Buddie always ON but it will only flush after it has operated for 24 hours of production.

If you want to have it flush I would turn the unit off after each use and when turned ON it will automatically flush the RO.

We can not increase the time, it is programed into the controller inside the Smart Buddie.

Last question !

Is there anyway to flush system manually instead of powering off unit ? Maybe install a valve somewhere in the system that I can open for a few minutes then flush.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
No problem.

Not by the Smart Buddie but you could add a T and valve between the RO waste line and the Smart Buddie connection to bypass the flow restrictor. If you wanted you could T that line back into the waste line out of the Smart Buddie. Essentially you are making a manual flush around the auto flush.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.

Not by the Smart Buddie but you could add a T and valve between the RO waste line and the Smart Buddie connection to bypass the flow restrictor. If you wanted you could T that line back into the waste line out of the Smart Buddie. Essentially you are making a manual flush around the auto flush.
Thank You for all the help !!!!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back