Instant Ocean ... how much per gallon..

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

trying to get to 1.026 but the bag has instructions for 1.020. When researching I see people asking about 5 gallons but I am mixing a small batch meaning just a gallon. I am wondering if anyone knows the amount of weight I need per gallon to reach 1.026.

thanks

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you weigh it, you don’t have to keep adding. You just know the salinity is spot on every time.
Not a chemist but I have read that the salt can draw moisture that can effect the weight. Don't know if it's true as I have never weighed salt to mix I just use a measuring cup. I mix 28g at a time.

OP
OP
Hugo_Fish

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to get as close as possible and then go in small amounts .. i rather be short and more salt .. then over and add more water. =\ water takes more space then salt and pretty limited when it comes to buckets

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a chemist but I have read that the salt can draw moisture that can effect the weight. Don't know if it's true as I have never weighed salt to mix I just use a measuring cup. I mix 28g at a time.

It can but best practice is to keep the salt stored correctly. I’ve been weighing salt for mixing for over a decade and have used almost every brand available. I’ve never had one have this issue as long as I kept it stored properly. Don’t leave the lid off or bag open longer than needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back