Instant Ocean Reef Crystals - low ca, mg

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I bought the last bucket of salt at PetSmart and the price was the Amazon one, so good deal. And after I had done a water change and tested water I realized that there is something wrong with the salt. I took like 5 tests in total to check the salt, mixed it well before put to water etc.
I did a massive water change because I was setting up hospital tanks and I wanted to use DT water to not stress that much my fish.
So, my parameters are more or less the same as freshly mixed salt:
alk 7.6
ph 8.3
mg 1180
ca 370
Everywhere I read it is said that my parameters are too low but is it really that bad and I should do something right away to slowly raised them to lets say ca 420 and mg 1300 using new bucket of salt, start dosing (I have pump) or just don't worry and do weekly water changes?

I am really upset, my first bucket of salt was perfect, this one has low params. How can I achieve stability. I don't want to switch salt, other brands are more expensive, like 200% more expensive.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I bought the last bucket of salt at PetSmart and the price was the Amazon one, so good deal. And after I had done a water change and tested water I realized that there is something wrong with the salt. I took like 5 tests in total to check the salt, mixed it well before put to water etc.
I did a massive water change because I was setting up hospital tanks and I wanted to use DT water to not stress that much my fish.
alk 7.6
ph 8.3
mg 1180
ca 370
Everywhere I read it is said that my parameters are too low but is it really that bad and I should do something right away to slowly raised them to lets say ca 420 and mg 1300 using new bucket of salt, start dosing (I have pump) or just don't worry and do weekly water changes?

I am really upset, my first bucket of salt was perfect, this one has low params. How can I achieve stability. I don't want to switch salt, other brands are more expensive, like 200% more expensive.
what salinity is that at 1.026?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried mixing up the salt in the bucket before making a batch?

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the salt hard to mix and all clumped up together? I’ve had issues were I get a bag that’s rock solid and at this point just toss it out. Won’t mix and very inconsistent.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is not hard, powder. It is like my last bucket. 1.026 salinity and I mixed salt before I made salt water. It is reef crystals as the topic stands.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to measure salinity? If a refractometer, was it recently calibrated?

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had that issue with the hard packed reef crystal bags that usually have a cream colored instead of white on them. If you give them a call directly they will send you a new batch no cost from my experience

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate refractometer before each mix. Rodi water. It may not be ideal but close enough.
im guessing its reading low from not being calibrated with the right fluid but who knows maybe.Im wrong just tested it doubt its off that much

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low alk suggests precipitation of some calcium carbonate, and I’d guess the lowish mag is most likely imperfect testing of salinity or magnesium.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is not hard, powder. It is like my last bucket. 1.026 salinity and I mixed salt before I made salt water. It is reef crystals as the topic stands.

It's been my experience and as Randy already said...IORC will precipitate if the heat is higher than 80-83ish. If you noticed some brown crud at the surface than that's probably what happened.

I used to mix my salt with the lid on which increased the temp from 78-79 to 80-83 and with the higher temps it would precipitate. I'm not exactly sure at which temp but I believe somewhere after 80 degrees. I've lowered my temp since then and have no further issues. If you have the brown crud on the surface, drop an air stone in and it will clear the water. It basically pushes all the crud to the walls of the reservoir.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my water when its not at the final temperature. It is room temperature which is around 71. When I add salt I turn the heater and powerhead on. Not all salt dissolves and I can see some white powder on the bottom and I am unable to mix that part. It is like 3 table spoons in the bucket of 25g. And yes, I do have a small brown crud the surface, it is like 2 table spoons of it and I assumed it is some kind of gunk from powerhead or heater. I mix water with lid on.

In terms of testing, this is exactly what I do: add salt, mix for a few minutes and when water is relatively clear I calibrate refractometer with rodi water and then check salinity. I adjust amount of sale if needed. I test water for CA, alk and mg since I have an issue and try to find a source of low levels. And after around 12h I test water again - the same results.

I have a new batch scheduled for delivery today, I will test that salt. I wrote an email to Instant Ocean asking their advise, no response yet.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
alk 7.6
ph 8.3
mg 1180
ca 370

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals too (I buy the box of 200 gallon mix). About two months ago, I notices my Nems looking unhappy. I found the ALK in my tank testing at 4.5!

I've always relied on weekly water changes to replenish my elements, but 4.5 indicated a really high consumption rate when IORC typically mix to an ALK of 10.

When I tested new mix before use, my ALK came in at 7.5. I tried mixing the contents and making another batch, but still mixed in the 7-7.5 range.

Ultimately it was determined that I received a bad batch of salt. Bulk Reef Supply was kind enough to replace the entire box. I did my first water change with the new box and ALK mixed to 10.

Entirely possible that you received a bad batch of mix. I'd return it to for an exchange or supplement to make up for deficiencies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my water when its not at the final temperature. It is room temperature which is around 71. When I add salt I turn the heater and powerhead on. Not all salt dissolves and I can see some white powder on the bottom and I am unable to mix that part. It is like 3 table spoons in the bucket of 25g. And yes, I do have a small brown crud the surface, it is like 2 table spoons of it and I assumed it is some kind of gunk from powerhead or heater. I mix water with lid on.

In terms of testing, this is exactly what I do: add salt, mix for a few minutes and when water is relatively clear I calibrate refractometer with rodi water and then check salinity. I adjust amount of sale if needed. I test water for CA, alk and mg since I have an issue and try to find a source of low levels. And after around 12h I test water again - the same results.

I have a new batch scheduled for delivery today, I will test that salt. I wrote an email to Instant Ocean asking their advise, no response yet.

the undissolved white stuff is calcium carbonate. My barrels collected huge amounts over time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God bless America and capitalism. I forgot I live in such a wonderful system. I returned that bucket to Petsmart and replaced it by new one hoping for a different batch. 2 weeks ago when I purchased it it was last bucket they had so good sign.

I calibrated refractometer with rodi water, made a 2gallons mix to 1.026, mixed it till I was able to see some clarity and tested that mix. Alk 10.4, ca 420 and mg 1280. I will start collecting water for 10gallon water change and slowly raise chemistry levels from that batch.
I don't want to chase numbers, just want to have the same levels as batch has.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back