Instant ocean tests

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a test

Major-ion-composition-of-Instant-Ocean-R-Synthetic-Sea-Salt-The-ionic-concentration.png

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey would you look at that you all do know what solids are now do you know what clay is made of

Clay minerals are composed essentially of silica, alumina or magnesia or both, and water, but iron substitutes for aluminum and magnesium in varying degrees, and appreciable quantities of potassium, sodium, and calcium are frequently present as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a test

Major-ion-composition-of-Instant-Ocean-R-Synthetic-Sea-Salt-The-ionic-concentration.png
What method was used for this?
Hey would you look at that you all do know what solids are now do you know what clay is made of

Clay minerals are composed essentially of silica, alumina or magnesia or both, and water, but iron substitutes for aluminum and magnesium in varying degrees, and appreciable quantities of potassium, sodium, and calcium are frequently present as well.
What do you mean here?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel like you're trying to get at something here, but I have no idea what it is.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has stated, and was crushed, for stating that IO contains clay and that is what the residue is in mixing buckets. Dr. RFH has accurately pointed out that IO is not really an issue for this, but more of a problem with RC. Even with RC is has been positively shown to be calcium/carbonate precipitation that dissolves with some lower pH (acid add, for example). Poster did not like this, called Dr. RFH a troll and has since tried to drum up support that IO is full of clay and responsible for lots and lots of bad issues in many, many tanks. When asked for proof that IO (or RC) contains clay and just blew it off claiming that it was already proven and posted about. I guess this is the "proof?"

...I think that is most of today's history.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has stated, and was crushed, for stating that IO contains clay and that is what the residue is in mixing buckets. Dr. RFH has accurately pointed out that IO is not really an issue for this, but more of a problem with RC. Even with RC is has been positively shown to be calcium/carbonate precipitation that dissolves with some lower pH (acid add, for example). Poster did not like this, called Dr. RFH a troll and has since tried to drum up support that IO is full of clay and responsible for lots and lots of bad issues in many, many tanks. When asked for proof that IO (or RC) contains clay and just blew it off claiming that it was already proven and posted about. I guess this is the "proof?"

So ... reef drama?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... with the most used and most trusted salt in the industry... and the most trusted chemist that we have. ...but everybody else are the trolls.

I cannot remember if it was this poster, or somebody else, who asked Dr. RHF how long it has been since he had a reef and why he thinks that a new method was this-or-that since he did not try it (paraphrasing off of memory). ...like chemistry or biology has changed since Dr. RHF had a reef... and that the methods of today are somehow different than in years past, other than a new name and new marketing.

Tough day for Dr. RHF if he did not have thick skin and otherwise knew that he is right. :)

Last edited:

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love IO salt used it for 15 years. Cheap, super clear water and grows beautiful SPS.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you're trying to get at something here, but I have no idea what it is.
I was actually thinking I needed to take a test. Here’s a test….random numbers and letters with no reference on how or where they were obtained. I’m throwing all my io salt in the trash as we speak, this is devastating!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t know if you’ve seen Idiocracy. Every time I see these things I’m reminded of irrigating crops with “Brawndo” and when it’s suggested to use water instead….”you mean the stuff in the toilet?” Ha

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... with the most used and most trusted salt in the industry... and the most trusted chemist that we have. ...but everybody else are the trolls.

I cannot remember if it was this poster, or somebody else, who asked Dr. RHF how long it has been since he had a reef and why he thinks that a new method was this-or-that since he did not try it (paraphrasing off of memory). ...like chemistry or biology has changed since Dr. RHF had a reef... and that the methods of today are somehow different than in years past, other than a new name and new marketing.

Tough day for Dr. RHF if he did not have thick skin and otherwise knew that he is right. :)

If you can't remember who you are going to talk about, then maybe don't talk about them. I'm not sure what this clay discussion is about exactly, but no reason to bring me up in a thread I hadn't even posted in.

The understandings of chemistry and biology are constantly changing. Hell, they found an entirely unknown organ in the body recently. That's how science advances, things we thought were true are proven to not be true and new ideas form.

Science should NEVER mind being questioned, thought to be wrong, or any such things. If that's a problem for a scientist, they should have become a preacher.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no clay in IO, and your mention of solids seems weird. In your posted analysis, solids is just the sum of all the salts present and the remainder is moisture.

That’s your proof of clay?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Comets are made mostly of water. The analysis you present suggests the salt mix might be 13% melted comets. Very bad for a reef tank. I heard they could even kill dinosaurs..

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back