Instant ocean tests

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is hilarious. This is evidence of clay? I think we have settled this issue with your own posts.

You accuse me of not reading your posts, but you just posted a thread from my forum where I address the brown crud in RC and you think that is evidence that the brown is clay.

Only three people mention clay in that thread.

One says

" I guess it could be a little clay."

and the other is me saying (before AS told me they used no anticaking agents):

"It has been suggested by some aquarists that some salt mixes may contain anti-caking agents, such as clays. I do not know if this is true, but if it is, they may form part of the residue that is left behind after dissolution."

So we have one person guess it may be clay and me stating I did not know if it was.

The third one asserts most salt mixes leave clay, without any evidence.

"Mixing vats eventually collect clay from pretty much all salt mixes I believe but that should not happen with just one batch of salt. More like 100."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most of us are aware of these old studies. I think I might even have been a reviewer for this article. I know I was for a similar study. Does this study suggest to you that IO is a worse salt mix than others?

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hilarious. This is evidence of clay? I think we have settled this issue with your own posts.

You accuse me of not reading your posts, but you just posted a thread from my forum where I address the brown crud in RC and you think that is evidence that the brown is clay.

Only three people mention clay in that thread.

One says

" I guess it could be a little clay."

and the other is me saying (before AS told me they used no anticaking agents):

"It has been suggested by some aquarists that some salt mixes may contain anti-caking agents, such as clays. I do not know if this is true, but if it is, they may form part of the residue that is left behind after dissolution."

So we have one person guess it may be clay and me stating I did not know if it was.

The third one asserts most salt mixes leave clay, without any evidence.

"Mixing vats eventually collect clay from pretty much all salt mixes I believe but that should not happen with just one batch of salt. More like 100."
No I'm simply showing I'm not the only one who has had a problem from io and yes I know u was there entire reason I chose this particular post

The second one down shows that even tropical marine has had clay at some point in it and they were smart enoff to hurt production which io should of done

The 3rd shows that the levels in io along with everything else is pretty constant

Iv already posted 10 or more other user with problems with io

I also posted users that switched from io to somthing else

But yet you can overlook all this just to defend a product you like

Your either an employee have stock in the company or are just plain blind

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd one is tropical marine doing a hult due to clay

Lou Ekus (Tropic Marin) told me today that:

"Clay is definitely not an anti caking agent used in the salt industry."

He did say that a natural clay impurity can be found in poor grades of sodium chloride. But that's a bridge too far if you claim that is how RC gets so much clay as to precipitate onto the container sides (when normal IO has none).

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us are aware of these old studies. I think I might even have been a reviewer for this article. I know I was for a similar study. Does this study suggest to you that IO is a worse salt mix than others?
Nope I was trying to show under normal circumstances io is just fine

Along with most other salt mixes

I was actually trying to defend io in this case

My bad for being unbiased won't happen again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your either an employee have stock in the company or are just plain blind

I'm both. I'm the blind owner of Aquarium Systems.

Makes it hard to read these threads. All the money I make off selling reef Crystals goes into the technology to read Reef2Reef to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yet you can overlook all this just to defend a product you like

I've told you several times that I actually do NOT like Reef Crystals and detailed exactly why.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv got an idea let's just stop this and move on to somthing more productive

And let's leave the bashing and hate at the door from now on

I won't prove anything ever again and you all can take what i say with a grain of salt

I'm not here to be in fights with people and I'd rather just leave all together

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....You could just not use that particular brand of salt? I guess I don't understand why you are so hellbent on PROVING this theory out. Randy's about as knowledgeable and trustworthy as anyone I've seen online and/or in person. It's also nearly impossible to diagnose/predict what is happening in other people's tanks based on online forum statements. I use reef crystals. I've used the "good stuff" before too. I couldn't find a difference in any of it. Does this PROVE anything? No. It's just anecdotal. I know this forum gets poo poo'd quite a bit by the talking heads of reefing, but it's never been disputed it's got good information and informative posts. Also, you are online - it's status quo to be arrogant and dismissive. It's just the nature of the beast. When I joined this forum and asked about Tropic Marin somebody accused me of being a shill and a mexican and got banned over it. OVER A BRAND OF SALT! This reminds me of the banjo world where if you don't play a GIBSON PREWAR YOU ARE NOT A GOOD PLAYER. I've seen great reef tanks that use tap water. I've seen reef moonshiners have great tanks. The truth is there's never going to be a "recipe" for this and the knowledge comes hard and often unannounced.

Press Conference Kermit GIF

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a difrence in a debate and a straight up attack

A debate is OK you had that happen that sucks but ime I had this happen with the same product

Not it can't possibly have done what you say cuz iv used it 26 years with no probkem

Each person's experience is diffrent

I personally know for a fact there is clay in every single batch of salt mix that comes from nature

However I also know that regular io has more clay in it then is normal in some batches

And reef crystals is horable with it way worse then regular io

This is personal experience and in no way does that invite a debate or an attack

I did not ask a question and you can't debate someone's personal experiences that's not how that works

I have been nothing but attacked on several occasions to the point of reporting users for creating a hostel fourm where no one learns anything

And is nothing but fan boys and trolls who cant see past their own ego and can't admit when there might be a problem

My brain works alot diffrent then the rest of you as the logic side of my brain is the only part that works and I'm real good at seeing patterns

And the pattern on this fourm is say something that someone else does not like cuz it might make whatever product they love looks bad get attacked and followers that will attack you and follow you

Had this happen on more then 1 occation

GHL FAN BOYS HAVE DONE THIS
NOW IO FAN BOYS HAVE DONE THIS
AND THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW OTHER OCATIONS THIS HAS HAPPENED

EITHER ADD SOMTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO THE CONVERSTATION OR GO AWAY AND LIVE IN YOUR FANTASY WORLD WHERE NOTHING YOU USE COULD POSSIBLE HAVE A PROBLEM

BUT STOP TRYING TO DISCREDIT SOMEONES PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE FROM ACTUAL USE OR WEEKS OF REASEACH AND FINDING A COMMON PROBLEM

IF I CAN FIND MORE THEN 100 PEOPLE REPORTING THE SAME EXACT THING

OR I HAVE PERSONALLY HAD IT HAPPEN

ITS A FACT NOT AN OPINION PERIOD

I FOUND 100'S OF POST ON THIS FOURM ALONE REPORTING THE EXACT SAME THING ABOUT BOTH IO AND GHL AND 1000'S ONLINE

I PERSONALLY KNOW SOMEONE WHO USE GHL PRODUCT AND GUESS WHAT THEY SAID THE SAME EXACT THING AS THE PEOPLE ON THE FOURMS AND IV PERSONALLY HAD IO EXPERIENCE AND LAB TESTS ALONG WITH CLEARITY TESTS

"I personally know for a fact there is clay in every single batch of salt mix that comes from nature"

But again, this is the problem. You made a circular argument. You said IO has clay (and every other salt mix), and your justification was that you know it has clay. The only evidence we have from a chemical analysis of this showed it to be precipitant. Plus, why would clay be added to 100% synthetic salt mixes? These salts don't come from "nature" per se, so clay would have to be added purposefully or as a source for an element. If it was clay, I'd expect @Randy Holmes-Farley in this http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php#2 to find different results (of which I am not sure, but he would likely know)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also never once have I said clay cause a tank crash

I said clay impacts the abilitie of filter feeders to feed and can cause disruptions in the bacterial colonys

This was my exact experience could not keep filter feeders at all and the coral I had never did all that well untill I switched to red sea

The other have put words in my mouth which is not ok

If you also take a look I have stated I know nothing about any other salt product

Just the io line and red sea line

And when going from io to red sea there was a world of difrence in my tank inhabitants

"I said clay impacts the abilitie of filter feeders to feed and can cause disruptions in the bacterial colonys"

Says who? Where is this coming from? What kind of clay? What bacteria? Was that information based off of this material in the salts, marine systems, the ocean, etc.?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone define "clay" for me, in the context that is being used here?
I take clay to just mean soil of certain small size, as opposed to sand or silt.

Do we mean Aquarium Systems is adding dirt to IO or RC? IO mixes up without residue for me. RC gets 'stuff' in it, by why would they add that to the more premium brand?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that Tropic Marin, the 'pharmaceutical grade' salt that is 'completely synthetic' being a mess, is evidence that IO/RC has clay in it and will kill your tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back